Thread: comb direction

....given a chance, how, in what direction, angle, in relation to the entrance would bees build their combs....does anyone know about any studies or observations along these (bee)lines?...thanks....

------------------
    otto

I had a five-frame medium depth nuc hive, three boxes tall facing north. The bees moved into the hive top feeder (which had no entrance on it) and built their combs diagonally from Northwest to Southeast. Not exactly corner-to-corner, but from about four inches back from the front to about four inches forward from the back.

I have put them in boxes with no frames or top bars and seen similar results. Usually diagonal comb.

I prefer the combs running parallel to the entrance. It breaks the draft. I think the bees prefer this to, and that's the reason, partly, for the diagonal comb.

....thanks, Michael, makes sense....i do know from the east european literature that they, the beekeepers there, differentiate between the so called warm versus cold frame configuration....the one you describe would be called a warm one, as it breaks the air draft....turned 90 degrees and you have the cold configuration, the standard in most cases here in N.America, i guess.....Otto

...the reason i posted my question is that i would like to experiment a bit next year.......