when useing staples for frames instead of eyelets where do you put them in and how many?

You put them where the wire would cut into the wood at the edge of the hole that the wire is going through. Just pull the wire tight and see where it is cutting into the wood. That's where it goes. Just one for each place the wire is cutting into the wood will do.

do you put them in before the frame is asembeled?

I usually don't wire. But try putting a frame together and wiring it and you'll see where they go. You can decide if it's easier to do it before you put them together or not, but I think I'd put them in as needed after the frame is assmbled while I'm wiring it until you get the hang of what works best for you.

Having just used the staples for the first time this year, I love them. I prefered to put them in before I assembled the frames. The only thing I had to remember is that I had to make sure I was putting them on the side of the endbars that would end up facing the outside of the finished frame. I only made one mistake in 200 endbars. Not bad, I don't think. And I realized it before I assembled the frame, thanks to my handy framing jig from plans on this website.

I also liked the idea that the staples may help in preventing or strengthening the endbars if they split while nailing them.

WayaCoyote

Having just used the staples for the first time this year, I love them. I prefered to put them in before I assembled the frames. The only thing I had to remember is that I had to make sure I was putting them on the side of the endbars that would end up facing the outside of the finished frame. I only made one mistake in 200 endbars. Not bad, I don't think. And I realized it before I assembled the frame, thanks to my handy framing jig from plans on this website.

I also liked the idea that the staples may help in preventing or strengthening the endbars if they split while nailing them.

WayaCoyote