Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Endangered Bees

Is there any way to split them up now with a queen cell in each split? It might keep them from swarming. Too bad you didn't get the swarm.

Michael Bush

I have nothing left to split , I have 3 hives , one queenless but with two queen cells, the queen in the other hives are still virgin so I can't clip her wings they could leave any moment.

I just want to know the reason why they left, the queen is just 3 days old!

I would assume they just swarmed. Did ALL of them leave or just some? If they all left then they absconded. If some left they swarmed and my guess is there is still a queen if about half the bees are still there.

from the information Terri provided I would say those bees are particularly apt to swarm or abscond. Its part of their survival mechanism. You disturbed the hives and in doing so greatly increased their chances of going somewhere else.

You realy need to find someone who has successfully kept these bees before. It seems the most common practive is to hunt for the hives and strip the hives of their honey.

Yes all the bees left with the queen.

This morning , the second queen left with her bees

One left =(:::::

I wonder if closing all the entraces with #5 hardware cloth (coffee wire) would keep the queen from being able to get out and stop them from absconding? It works with African bees and European bees. The African bees are generally smaller than the (artificually enlarged) Erupean bees most of us raise.

The workers should be able to get through this.

That's a great idea but I can't do it now because the queen is still virgin as you know, she must fly to mate

I still have one queen left and I think the bees didn't decide to abscond for one reason, the hive still have some larva from the old queen and they can't leave a hive which contains larva.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12