Thread: keeping records

I wanted to have a simple, basic form that I could print, punch and put into a loose leaf binder to take and use on beeyard visits. I came up with this.

http://boogerhillbee.com/Beekeeping%...ners/Class.htm

Select the Keeping Records link.

I would use the first page as a cover and print the second whenever I needed additional pages.
    Am I forgetting any obvious and important items?
    Thanks
    Dan
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

This is a hard subject to talk about... what type of record keeping to do. Do you fill out a form? Do you write freely in a journal? Do you keep a record on the computer?

For the longest time, I kept a binder that had sections on each hive. This was good... not to complex. However, I think it could be simplifide.

I thought of writing a journal on each hive but you know, that is a lot of work and there is no formal way for writing it. For example, if you need to look back on hive number 5 for a count on v mites, you have to read through tons of crap to see that.

Maybe I should work on simplifying my system. I am still waiting for a good computer hive managment program to come out!!

HINT HINT to those that are computer inclined
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

I thought somebody had a good computer program, and was trying to sell it on here.
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

>if you need to look back on hive number 5 for a count on v mites, you have to read through tons of crap to see that.

Which is why I tried to consolidate much of that information on the first page of the form. I'd be all for a computer program but I wouldn't be likely to carry my laptop out into the beeyard so I'd still need some method to record the data out in the field. In fact, when I did a search of this board there appeared to be one that was created:
    http://www.bee-l.com/bulletinboard/gary/index.htm

I haven't downloaded it yet, but probably should to see if my form contains the type of info that would be compatible.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I am going to try to keep better records this year to,on paper because I could crash this thing at any second......
    So, I have been thinking about my numbering system, and wondered if you might be able/willing to share theirs?
    I think I might try a "hundred" series type thing,first hive would be 100,scond hive 200,etc..then the first split from that hive would be 101 and so on.
    I like the sound of "hive 612"... [img]smile.gif[/img]
    But seriously,I would like to try to follow individual frames through their travels from hive to hive,splits do present the chance of spreading disease,and while things are O.K. right now,I am surronded here by foulbrood and is my BIG fear,I'll handle the mites.
    Thanks
    Mark

Mark, I've found it much easier to deal with hives as a group by yards and then numbered within. Dealing with hive 120 doesn't mean much to me when I'm reviweing notes at my desk 5 miles away. I've found that If I set my yards so they all follow the same location within a yard I can actually visualize a hive and make use of my mental notes as well as what's written down.

As an example the 4th hive position on the 4th pallet at my apple orchard yard would be A-16. Ow in my mind I can say, is that yard having skunk problems or is it a more shady location etc.

[size="1"][ December 18, 2005, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Joel ][/size]

Mark,
    Although I understand the desire to keep in-depth records, I'm opting for a simple system. If it gets too involved, I'll find myself getting lazy with it and next thing I know I won't use it at all. I'm afraid, for me, the numbering system you've described would be that way.

I track my hives using a system similar to the way Joel describes his. That way, if one of my colonies is low on brood, for example, I can go right back to it on my next trip. It doesn't require any mental translation on my part....an important quality when you reach my age.
    Good luck
    Dan

> But seriously,I would like to try to follow
    > individual frames through their travels from
    > hive to hive,splits do present the chance of
    > spreading disease

Wow, FRAME-level tracking!!!

OK, here's what we do, which works for us.
    Tracking the frames would involve a frame
    number suffix on the brood-box number, but
    would not change the rest of the system.

Bottom boards have numbers which define a
    hive. They are stenciled in black paint.
    Brood boxes are stenciled with a single
    alpha character, followed by a 3-digit
    number. Supers use the same system, but
    the alpha is on the end of the number.
    We only track at the box level, so a complete
    hive consists of a specific configuration of boxes, which we list from bottom to top when
    jotting notes. All the other components are
    numbered for inventory purposes, but the
    numbering scheme is more of a simple
    "serial number".

We shuffle frames around in brood chambers
    like Las Vegas blackjack dealers, so if we
    were to implement frame-level tracking, we'd
    have to start branding frames. A smaller
    operation might find a wood-burning tool
    cheaper to use. Numbering frames with a
    alpha and 3 digits gives you a total number
    of just under 26,000 frames before you'd
    have to add a 4th digit.

I've been terrible at trying to keep records. When i have kept records its been more general about the things i've done through the day, more like a diary. i've always liked to keep record of what the weather was, when flows start and end, ect. If a hive needs special care (replace queen, boost with bees, ect), and keep track of hours worked. I'm going to be making a template with microsoft office that will make a seven day per page diary to keep track of everything neatly. i'm looking forward to that.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

My hive notes reflect the following:

COLONY #? on Hive Stand #?
    Hive Location in Apiary
    General Description / Condition / Date
    (Last painted 8/02, Light green. Excellent condition 12/05)
    Established -
    (4/12/03 w/ 3# package Italian bees & Queen purchased from Walter T. Kelly Co)
    Shipped from -
    Overwintered -
    (03/04 in 3 deeps. 04/05 in 3 deeps)

QUEEN
    Last Requeen -
    Source -
    Marked -
    Clipped -
    Sightings -
    Brood Pattern -
    Colony Temperament -

POPULATION (Bees and Brood)