Thread: Double screens

Does anyone else use double screens for splitting or re-queening? Do you face the hives separated with the double screens with their openings in the same direction or in opposite directions? ie One hive body with the opening to the front and the other hive body with the opening to the rear or side. Why?

One to the front and one to the back to prevent drifting from one to the other.
    Good luck
    Pancho

After many years I have started facing the upper box to the front. I found that when I left them on for a long time, and they built up into a big population, there was too much confusion when I removed the screen and the backwards entrance didn't exist anymore. I have my hives spaced wall to wall and don't see any problems from drifting. Bees are pretty smart about finding the proper entrance, and litle harm comes if they go into the wrong one. Drifting was more of a problem in the old days when they lined up several dozen identical white hives in a straight row.

ODFRANK

Do you paint your hives different colors? How many hives do you have wall to wall?

Thanks
    Thesurveyor