Thread: newspaper trick

Hi I have two week hives i want to combine I've herd of a newspaper method to doing this. I looked all through this site and couldn't find how to do it Thanks Dan

Hi dan;
    I have combined a couple before and had no problems. hears how I did it:
    Used one layer of black&white newspaper ,place over hivebody,cut three slices with hive tool evenly spaced between edeges.I cut with the frames and stop a couple inches short of the edge of the box. set your other hive body on top of this paper and they will unite quietly in a day or two.
    don't worry about taking the paper back out ,the bees will will shread it and do it for you . hopes this helps
    Scott

easy,put a piece or two of newspaper between the two when you stack them together,make a few tears in the newpaper to get them going.after a few days they will have chewed most of it up.no need to remove any remaining stuff.

We gave up newspaper years ago. Smoke both boxes good and put them together

I've used the newspaper method as above without any problems.
    D.

Hi Dan,

You need not use the newspaper but is good when just starting in beekeeping. I haven't bothered in years and to be honest haven't had time. What I do is just expose the bees to sunlight by taking off the covers and letting the bees set for a while. Give a quick shot of smoke to run the girls down and then just combine.

Clay

We tend to stick with things that always worked for us. I've actually seen a newspaper combine where the mean queenless hive killed a lot of the other hive that it was being combined with including the only queen between the two. I use the newspaper and I don't usually bother with the cuts in the paper unless the weather is really hot and I'm concerned they won't get combined soon enough to get adequate ventilation.

I agree with Micheal on this one. I combined on some very got days, not only did I use paper with a couple of slits, but I also placed a wedge in between the hive bodies to ensure ventilation the first day.

No one got hurt and everything went smoothly.

i remember reading somewhere that combining two weak hives only results in having a larger weak colony. Better to combine each
    of the weaker ones with strong colonies.

Often the cause of a weak hive is a failing queen. In that case it's true. Requeening might be a better solution. But sometimes a hive is only weak because it was a late split or a late swarm and hasn't had a chance to build up enough for winter.

If you place a weak hive on top of a strong hive, what happens to the field bees & the rest off the bees that was on the outside of the hive when you move it?
    the 2 hive is about 20-25 feet apart.>>>>Mark

The returning field force circles around looking for somthing that looks like their hive and smelling for something that smells like their hive and eventually they drift into some hive near the one they were in before.

What do you do about having 2 queens, in the same hive, when combining hives.???

------------------
    Erwin

If I favor one a lot I will find the one I don't want and kill her first. If I like them both the same and just want a combine for strength, I leave the both and let the bees decide. Sometimes they both lay for a while but eventually the bees will get rid of one or the other. But sometimes this isn't until there is no honey flow.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited August 08, 2003).]