Thumbs down

I get many flyers and advertisements from most of the big equipment shippers. I'll not mention names, but here is a number of observations I noticed recently.

One glossy flyer, that I am sure cost some bucks to produce and mail, list one item that retails normally at $40.20 and is on sale for 38.95 Whats that, a whopping 3% discount. A $1.25 on a forty dollar item. What other business/industry makes a big deal about 3%? Could you imagine going into a store of any type and seeing "grand" sale advertisement banner mentioning 3% discount.

Another flyer mentions a discount of .01...thats ONE CENT, on purchases of frames/w foundation in quantities of over 5,000. Thats right, $1.56 for up to 4,999 and $1.55 for over 5,000.

Another flyer mentions "summer-time savings" and quotes prices. Looking closer, you find nowhere does it say sale, or discount. And if you compare the sale flyer prices with the magazine prices, or the every-day list price from the company themselves, yep thats right....same price.

I guess as an industry its about as good as it gets. Maybe these same commercial shippers saw the same extractor last month sell on ebay that I did. In the discription the seller mentioned something about it being listed in the mags at $187.00 The last bid I saw before it closed was $195.00 Hmmm.. 187.00 brand new, and someone pays 195.00 for used. Go figure.

But wait... now someone is selling 100 queen cages for the introductory initial bid asking price of $17.00 I guess someone hopes nobody notices that the same thing at Kelly's lists for $15.00

I hope its this crazy when I decide to hang it up down the road. Thanks for reading this "complaint of the day". I would be working the bees right now, but the temp reads 99.8 in the shade right now. Think I'll wait awhile....

Bjorn
    I notice the same thing in the flyers.And yes there very nice flyers lol.Let me see how many thousands of them do they send out every month or so.Seems they could have more than a one cent discount from the mailings alone.
    Mitch KD8IMF

I get a flyer regularly from Denco Marketing for garage door parts. Nice slick 2 page ad. All prices are regular catolog prices!! It has prompted me to order by reminding me of low supply on certain items. It must work or they wouldn't do it.

3% is hardly a discount for sure.

Instead of sending out all those "special sale flyers" that cost $$ to make and print, just keep the money spent on those, and lower your regular prices, everyone's happy.

peggjam
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

It is a reflection on how cheap, (I mean Frugal), we beekeepers are that they think we can be lured by such incredibly stupid discounts. It makes you want to pay the higher price somewhere else to make a point. But wait! .01 on 5,000 frames, isn't that like $50.00. Add the $1.25 and multiply that time the purchase power of the 2800 members and we no have $143,500. Take that and invest in the chinese stock market in energy futures just before they change the exchange rate on their currency and reap around 18% the 1st year and now we have some money to work with! Think what we could do over say 20 years. Let's think positive!