Cedar Vista Guest

Lightbulb

I am considering starting into beekeeping on a small scale in my yard. I was wondering if anyone on this site is in Colorado?

I live in the Northeast corner of the state.

I was up near Lake George (west of Co. Spgs.) last week. In driving about 600 miles round trip from NM, I didn't see a single hive. Plenty of flowers, and plenty of small feral bumblebees, but only observed a single honeybee on some clover in Florissant. Made me crazy to think of all that wildflower nectar not getting put away.

Cedar Vista Guest

I agree! This is the wettest summer we have had in 6 years. Lots of blooming going on.

Hi there,

I am in Aurora. I have been keeping bees for only 5 seasons. From this rather sparse experience I would expect honeybees to do quite well in Sterling. Have you met any local beekeepers. I would recommend finding a mentor if possible. I was pretty confident when I started, but reality set in quickly. If you can not find a local mentor (or even if you do) there is great support here and elsewhere on the web

Cedar Vista Guest

Thanks Tom,

I have met Keith Florian who is in Brush, CO which is 35 miles away. So far I am just reading and learning as much as I can from all sources.

Have you been able to go to any of Keith's beeyards with him and help eork the hives? He might appreciate a volunteer to help him if you can coordinate scheduling.

Cedar Vista Guest

Tom,

That is my next plan of action. I know I will learn a great deal from the experience.

What about beekeeping up in Woodland Park? Is is possible to do so?

I'm not now, but I had bees in Brighton, CO.

Cedar Vista Guest

Michael,

Where is Greenwood, NE?

For someone (me) who used to live in Mitchell, NE, a long ways away. It's between Omaha and Lincoln. 500 miles from Mitchell, where I used to live. I'm an Easterner now.

BTW for those of you who think that Nebraska is a tiny state somewhere in the west, according to Maps are us from Harrison, NE to Rulo, NE is 580 miles and takes 12 hours to drive. We are bigger than the entire country of Germany.