Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thank you Moochos Mark!

I bet you can help us tremendously with your knowledge.

I enjoy experimenting and inventing.

After reading about the "stuff". Do you think I'm lack on the amount of ingredients/voilitile oils per full sized hive?

I won't hold you to it......

"Daisies Recipes?"

;^) Denise, I could put the recipe at the honey everything board.. And name the stuff.

And as observations change, I can update it.

Would that work?

Daisy,
    We could try that. I could also try sending myself an e-mail--you know, try cutting and pasting your recipes to myself? Haven't tried it yet, but I would like to start a file of these recipes. You're right up my alley with your herbal remedies and stuff!
    Regards,
    Denise

Denise, copy and then paste it into a new text, rich text, or word pad document.

On your desktop, (close this window to your browser) and again, on your desktop, right click your mouse and scroll down to "new".

Then scroll up or down to a document. Paste the text there and name it something. Leave this on your desktop until you have it filled up with what you need and when it's done, put it into My Documents.

I have a folder in My Documents called Bees. I put my documents in Bees folder, within My Documents.

Hope this helps.

Denise, copy and then paste it into a new text, rich text, or word pad document.

On your desktop, (close this window to your browser) and again, on your desktop, right click your mouse and scroll down to "new".

Then scroll up or down to a document. Paste the text there and name it something. Leave this on your desktop until you have it filled up with what you need and when it's done, put it into My Documents.

I have a folder in My Documents called Bees. I put my documents in Bees folder, within My Documents.

Hope this helps.

Daisy,

I'm not sure about your concentrations for your chemicals. I use some of them in manufacturing processes. I would encourage you to try making you elixers with substances you can control the amounts of, otherwise you will become frustrated with continually changing results. Bee Culture had a couple articles a few years back about doing your own research. I recommend you read those (they are online), I think they will fuel your interest and help avoid some subtle pitfalls that anyone can run into while testing their theories. Please continue to keep us abreast. I have very little time to experiment between work and Bees.

Best of luck and let me know if I can help.

Mark

OK and Thanks for the good ideas.

Here is a recipe for those who would like to experiment with at least on hive.

This recipe is in testing stage so I present this to you for testing only.

In theory, this could work to keep down mites, and TM, and wax moths. In theory you could add this after taking off honey and putting it on possibly as early as late summer, fall, and winter months. Maybe early spring.

Using the chest rub from dollar store, take out a couple TBLS of the product, maybe three TBLS as you may decide you want too add more then one TBLS of Thyme essential oil which is the prime ingredient against V.mites.

Here we go.....

Have prepared to go, Thyme essential oil, Eucalyptus essential oil, Camphor Essential Oil, ""if you want to add Everclear alcohol"" OR (Camphor spirits).

Cut pieces of flannel material appropriately sized for the hive.

[ I'm experimenting with 2 by 4 inches for a double deep brood nest.] This can be cut in two if for smaller space, or for placing in more then one place in the double deep.

Mix together these ingredients; At least one TBLS of THYME, at least a TSP of Eucalyptus, and no more then a half TSP of Camphor Spirits, > Or at least a half TSP of Camphor Oil with a dash of Everclear.

Place the opened jar of vapo rub in the microwave for 20 seconds. Then add the essential oils to the jar of menthol, add lid back on and mix.

Then saturate the flannel pieces with the oils. Flannel will hold a lot of this stuff in it so you may decide to squeeze off the excess. Once it cools, it sorta sets up.

Then you can bag this for when you're ready to place them on the hives. If you are doing all of them, you'll have to adjust the recipe as I only make one for my four hives. If you add too much, I fear some bees will die.

I have been adding a fresh one after two weeks, this may not be neccessary. It may last for three weeks or four weeks, it may be affective left on all winter, as temps do go up in the winter months for you and me here in Kansas. It's possible that this stuff won't be needed in the spring at all, after keeping it on the hives all winter. But this is a guess.

I'll be adding a fresh one after this rain spell, I'll add it again in two or three weeks, I may let the last application stay in all winter.

Just remember this is an experiment. I can't be responsible if anything goes wrong.