Thread: sales tax

I sell a lot at retail. Can the rest of you share how you handle sales tax.

I have a Michigan sales tax license and collect the tax on all my sales at home
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

Check with your state and county. They might each have a separate tax rate to collect. They'll be glad to supply you with a tax ID and reporting forms. I don't know if the new law for internet sales tax is in effect yet, but they can tell you that, too.

The only retail I've done was with a friend who was selling it at the farmers market and he had the tax permit, so I haven't gotten one. But my daughter has one and it's not that hard to get in Nebraska. Just a small fee and more paperwork.

In MOST states the determining factor of who must collect the sales tax is WHO sells to the end user. That being the consumer using the product. If you sell to a market who then resells, they are responsible for collecting and reporting the sales tax. If you sell to the consumer like at a flea market, or from your home, then you must collect and report.

In Pa. I spoke to a Tax person who said they really key in on market sales where the price is listed without the tax mentioned. Example - Could I advertise a pound bear at $3.00 then just add up the tax on the sales at the end of the day. NO WAY. If you sell a pound bear for $3.00 then you better collect $3.24 and recording of each sale must be done.

Keep in mind this has nothing to do with the recording and paying Fed, state and local tax on income generated from beekeeping.

I think that for every 100 people out there cheating the system, they may catch a couple. But I wouldn't want to be one of the few.

Each state is different so make a phone call. Most states have web-sites and you can request booklets that lay it all out for you.

In MN, honey is a food product-no sales tax necessary.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

In NYS honey is a food product and is one of the few things that is not taxed. But, don't say that too loud or it could change.

Each state is different. Pennsylvania just happens to be one of the worst.

Alot of people here also think its not taxable but it also matters how food products are sold. It can be based whether its a primary center for business, whether the establishment is set up for cold or hot food service, eat in or take out, and the like. Best advice is to not go on something someone said in a general conversation. Make sure yourself.

Hi Clinton,
    I too, am from Michigan and am wondering why you are charging sales tax. Food is not taxable unless it is sold as ready to eat, like fast food or donuts, etc. I had a bakery for a while and only charged tax on coffee and donuts, bread and packaged items were tax free as is bottled honey.

Coleene

Actually in Nebraska there is no tax on food unless it is "for immediate consumption". So bottled honey is not taxable.

In Georgia, we are fortunate. We (the farmer) don't have to pay sales tax on products produced on our farm. If we sell it wholesale or retail there is no sales tax. If it is resold by someone else they haveto pay the taxes though.

Mark

If and when I get honey to sell, it will mostly be sold out by the road and folks will give a round number for it. If the tax folks have wants then I'll give them some honey.