Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How did the winter go?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Mitch 
#1 ·
Hi all .I am just wodering how everyone came thu the winter.I went in with 6 hives last fall.I fed them and knew i was in trouble with 1 or 2.I lost 3 out of the 6.it is still to cold here for working the hives.I still have to look and see what the problem was.I know i lost one hive from starvation with out looking.It seemed i was just fighting robbing all year and sure that was the loss of one hive.
Good luck to all this spring
Bob

#2 ·
Well I dont know my winter losses yet, but I have taken a peak in a few wraps these last couple of weeks. Looked in at least 4 or 5, and no dead outs, all the hives were strong with bees. Looked really good. I'm going through my hives next week to med and start feeding patties. Sould know my wintering success by then...
It has really been a easy winter on my hives this year. It started cold, but we have had a mild break starting Feb right till now. Hope it hold till well into April
Ian

#3 ·
So i just went out and found all my poor bees dried up. There were at least 4 frames of honey still in the hive so i don't think that they starved. I just started beekeeping last year and this was a hard winter here, but i am wondering what could have gone wrong. I didn't wrap the hives or anything, and we had alot of snow and really cold weather this winter.
I only have the one hive, but if things go well i will expand. I have ordered my replacement bees, and they will arrive mid to late april. One more thing what should i do with the frames full of honey? Will it be ok in the hive if i block the entrance to prevent robbing? or will warmer weather cause problems? Any and all help to a newbie is greatly appreciated.
all the best
matt

#5 ·
>So i just went out and found all my poor bees dried up. There were at least 4 frames of honey still in the hive so i don't think that they starved. I just started beekeeping last year and this was a hard winter here, but i am wondering what could have gone wrong.

Could be mites. Could be the cluster got small and the weather got cold and the couldn't move to the stores. Not enough info. If there are piles of dead bees on the bottom board and you look close you might find the Varroa mites. They are small. About the size of a period on this screen. Purplish brown and slightly oval. If the Varroa killed them there will be lots of them on the bottom board. (hundreds or thousands) If it was tracheal mites you won't be able to see them.

>I didn't wrap the hives or anything, and we had alot of snow and really cold weather this winter.

I've never wrapped hives. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I've had bees survive -20 winters for many decades without. Maybe wrapping helps in the situation of a small cluster needing to get warm enough to move. I don't know.

>I only have the one hive, but if things go well i will expand. I have ordered my replacement bees, and they will arrive mid to late april. One more thing what should i do with the frames full of honey? Will it be ok in the hive if i block the entrance to prevent robbing? or will warmer weather cause problems?

As Bill says, the problem is the wax moths. But if you seal it up tight and you still get some frosts, maybe they won't take off until later. But keeping them in the freezer is the safest if you can.

#7 ·
Matt it is harde to tell why your bees died but what is posted here are the most likely reasons.It might be a good idea if you have decided to keep with beekeeping to have 2 hives.it works out better if you need to join a week hive or need a frame of eggs to get a new queen.
Glad to here your bees are doing well Daisy.spring is here now to but that means alot of rain.
If the rain lets up here this weekend ill have time for the bee yard.I may revers the hive bodys.and get ready to try my fist splits.Hope to do them in a few weeks.
I think ill put any frames of honey i have in the dead hives in the freezer or put them on the othe hives if they need it.
Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.