Hello all...

I am new to beekeeping... I started off with one weak hive last year... Which has become three this year... luckily...

I live in an area where all people seem to use top bar hives. I have been looking for hives that can be worked from the back. The reason id that I do not have much space so I need to be able to place the hives above each other.

What I am currently looking for are plans for this kind of hives... Does anyone know where I can find some???

By the way... I am in Lebanon... and there very, very few bee sources here...

I was in need of a queen about two months ago and could not find a single one. I was told that the government was banning import of bee queens due to diseases...

Anyway... I hope someone here has such a plan or knows where I can find one online.

A long time ago (100 years or so) there used to be hives with a full square frame the slid in from the back. I have never acutally seen one and I don't know how you'd build one. I'm sure the problem with it was the propolis. Basically any hive is an issue of beespace. If you get below 1/4" (6.5mm) or above 3/8" (9.5mm) then the bees will fill the space in. But if you stay in that range of space they will leave that space. If you designed a frame that would respect that space and slide in from the back it should work.

There certainly have been hives where the frames slid in from the back, but my worry would be propolis; I'm not sure how you'd get at them to lever them apart. There is a longstanding tradition of using bee houses in some parts of Europe; that's what I think you need to be looking at.

------------------
    Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

[This message has been edited by Robert Brenchley (edited September 16, 2004).]

Check this link out. It has plans. http://www.beesource.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000320.html

I'm not an expert but I'm haaving a hard time imagining a hive where the frames themselves "slide." Nothing could ever dream of sliding in my hives--the propolis makes that unimaginable. Maybe a good design would be like a file cabinet where each tbh is a drawer that slides out on its own rollers, so you have access from the top. It's hard to imagine not having direct access to the two points where the bar lays on the hive wall, since the bees glue that up thoroughly.

Welcome to the bee list. Your English is perfect. Has Lebannon always been your home?

To help all of us in offering future advice, it would probably help if you put your location in your profile. Otherwise we will probably be assuming you're here in the USA and give advice accordingly.

Welcome to forum.

Thanks all...

I am still looking for plans.

Actually, I find propolis to be a problem no matter what spaces there are.

As for back openning hives... I have seen recent pictures of them... but, like I said... the top openning ones are the popular ones here... We do not have much choice when it comes to suppliers.

There are an old book by name Skyscraper hive where you can find a solution. I have a spanish version La Colmena Rascacielos Editorial Gustavo Gili- Barcelona . The author is M. Dugat.