Thread: Storage

I am thinking about buying a plastic shed to store my supers in over the winter. I was thinking about a 10 X 12 (approx). Other than pests, I am worried that the inside would get too hot and melt the wax in the supers. How does everyone else store thiers?

If you could put your storage shed in an area that is shaded and make sure the structure if well ventilated you should be ok. Try and get a light colored structure this will also hold down the temp. install a thermometer inside and watch that it donÂ’t get to hot I think that wax will start to melt at around 130 degrees F. I have a 24X40 pole barn to store my bee equipment in and wished I would have built it bigger. So I would suggest you buy as big a shed as you can afford.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

>How does everyone else store thiers?

Mine are stacked outside in the beeyard.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Michael,
    How do you protect agaisnt mice, snakes, moths and other pests when you stack them in the beeyard?
    It is what it is.

Insulation and seal. SHB are relentless.

I've lucked out in having an unused Deep freezer that holds all of my spare equipment. It has to stay running to deter mold, however.

Waya
    WayaCoyote

>How do you protect agaisnt mice

I put them on a solid piece of wood or a bottom board with no entrance, and hope the mice don't find or chew a place to get in. Sometimes they do.

> snakes

Snakes are a problem? I thought they'd eat the mice.

> moths

There are none in the winter. Certan in the summer.

> and other pests

That's a pretty complete list. Paper wasps moving in is my only other peeve. Never got stung by one, but been scared pretty good now and then. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF