Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

those pics look like the plaintain that grows here.

Regot, I don't know if they'll come up for you this winter or not.

I don't know what time of year they normally come up. If they come up while it's still cool, then maybe they will, but if they have to have a warm ground, they may not come up for you. I just don't know.

I bought some cayenne peppers, dried em and powdered em to fill capsules, )I make my own pills too) And I put up the seed. Tried to grow them in a pot and they wouldn't come up. I guess I'll have to wait till spring maybe.

But yes, tell us how it works for you. I have plaintain outside now. I should pick some and make some balm too.

Cool

dcross;

Thanx for the link. This sure looks like the "weed" that I've been pulling up on my front lawn for years now. I had no idea. However, the link you sent indicates that it is "Black Seeded" Plantain (Plantago rugelii) NOT to be confused with Plantago major (Common Plantain) from Eurasia. Are we all talking about the common stuff for stings or the black-seeded? Or does it matter?

I've seen Plantain (not specified which type) touted as a herbal additive. I looked it up: a) it contains mucilage and tannin constituents b) used as an alternative to slippery elm c) loaded with antioxidant chlorophyll (obviously) d) fiber e) contains a rich assortment of vitamins and minerals - all of which is beneficial in the healing and maintenance of the mucous membranes and healthy flora in the intestinal tract.

I wonder if the leaves can be used in salads and if so, how does it taste, texture?

Anybody eaten this stuff? Can you OD on it?

Thanx.

John

http://www.cloudnet.com/~djeans/FlwPlant/CPlantain.htm

Some pics of the plain, it says it can be added to salads, I can't say the taste was all that great, but it was the stringy older leaves I was chewing too. I have no idea how to tell the two types apart.

John,
    You can eat the plantain and it doesn't matter which type it is for the stings. At least that's what I've been told by my survivalist instructor. You can't really OD on it but you do have to use caution as too much would cause diarrhea--like spinach.
    Regards,
    Denise