Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The other day I was in the woods trying to get some sticks off a newly fallen tree for an upcoming hotdog roast. I stepped on a stick and felt a sudden sting on the inner aspect of my right knee. Then I saw the yellow jacket going for me again. Within 30 seconds I had blisters forming within 2 inches around the sting site. I hightailed it back to the yard where I got some plantain, chewed it, rubbed it on the site, then put a bandaid over the plantain so it could act like a poultice. Within half an hour all stinging was gone, and within one hour I couldn't even tell where I'd been stung. Great stuff, this plantain is!

So I have a question. If I got some plantain and dehydrated it and powdered it,do you think it would be as affective if I just added some spit and used it as a poultice that way? I'm thinking of leaving some in my car, purse or carrying it wherever I go. I have been to some yards--where they chemically treat the yards-and plantain is difficult to find then. Thoughts and suggestions?
    Regards,
    Denise

I've never tried to dry it, but I think it would be worth a try. As I've said before, if I don't have any plantain, I just use an aspirin tablet or some tobacco.

Denise, just dry it in a cool dark place. Break it up and store sealed in a dark place. Keep a dose with you and add water to rehydrate as you need it. Or better still, use it in a homemade salve. Lots of recipes on the internet for homemade salve or ointments..

This will make it ready to apply.

I make my own flu and cold remedies in tincture form of herbs. And I make my own sore back rubs out of vasoline mixed with cayenne pepper powders. The hot hot stuff.

It's fun.

I found this recipe for you. But there are others if this one doesn't suite cha/

Skin Healing Plantain Salve

Use dry plantain - broad or lance leafed - (Plantago spp.).

Put in in a jar and cover it with grainalcohol(95% - Everclear) so it is barely moistened. Let is soak for 8 hours or so.

Then mix it 1:5 ( weight to volume - so 1 oz herb to 5 fluid oz oil) with olive oil. Put it in a blender and blend it until the sides of the blender are warm (quite a while).

Now strain it through a fine cloth or something like that and use the oil to make a salve by heating it and mixing it with beeswax. Start with 1:5 beeswax to oil ratio, if the salve come out to soft you can remelt it and add more beeswax.

This is a wonderful, skinhealing, restorative salve (one of my friends has switched completely to it as moisturizer) but what is the coolest about it the color. The green is so unbelievably vibrant. I have a bottle of the oil on a shelve, just so I can look at it, it reminds me of Summer...

Submitted by: Tanya Carwyn

Denise, If it were me making this, I'd just use my stick blender.

Daisy,
    Thank you so much. I'll have to try this recipe. But "stick blender?"

your back rub reminds me of a balm swear by called "Firefly Balm." It has arnica in it also and stops bruising. Once I broke my little toe while getting ready for work. It was dark and I "stubbed" it on the dumb-bell I had left on the floor when I was motivated at one time to be strong and youthful. I immediately put the salve on the toe area but by the time I got to work (45 min) I couldn't walk on my foot without limping pretty badly. I put balm on the whole foot and within 20 minutes I could walk on it without any pain whatsoever. I had minimal bruising--I can only imagine what it would have looked like if I didn't use the balm!!
    Thanks again, Daisy!
    Denise

Stick blender, "Oh yes"!

Folks who make cold process soaps swear by them.

If you make soaps you can't do without it.

They come with attachments so you can whip up whatever......

And, I have plaintain seed if you'd like me to mail you some.

I still don't know what a "stick blender" is. Could you describe one in detail or point us to a site with pictures?

No, no, no! don't mail me any plantain seeds! My yard is half full of it! And knowing how useful it it, I won't eradicate it. Thanks for the offer though! I have heard the seeds are good for bloodpressure. I wouldn't mind trying that sometime.
    Thanks, Daisy!
    Denise

Stick Blender, also called a hand blender.
    I bought one at Wal-Mart for 19.99

Cool

Anyone know where I can see a good picture of plantain?
    Thanx.

Daisy: Would you be willing to mail some of those plaintain seeds to me? I got stung big time the other day and really wanted to give it a try, but could not find any anywhere. I'd really like to grow up a crop and try out your recipe.

With all due respect, I don't think that is a very good picture of Plantain. I could take some pictures and then what... do I send them to Barry so he can post them? I'm not sure how to get them here on the site.
    Regards,
    Denise

Regot, I emailed you.

This is the first year I collected plaintain seed. If you research it, you'll find it's a super little plant.

I would like to know how to seed them in the spring, like what time of year ect. If you find out, let me know would ja?

Sincerely

I've never lived anywhere where some plantain wasn't a few steps away. I've never bothered to plant it on purpose, although when I was a kid I used to think it was a lot of fun to take the seed stalks and rub all the seeds off.

Daisy: Thank you. We've had a crazy summer here (weather-wise) and it may be that the wild plaintain has been killed off but will come up again all by itself in the spring. I hope to plant your seeds in the greenhouse and get them growing in pots during the winter months. I will certainly let you know how it turns out.

Yeah, the top pic isn't very good, there is a nice one of the leaf further down the page.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast