Not certain this is a question or me just wanting validation and reassurance.

In my quest to start a 8 frame set up Garden Hive I had ordered two Deeps and Two shallows from Brushy Mountain (as well as some other stuff of course) and they called me today to say they were out of Deeps. They had Mediums so I ok'd the switch out to two Mediums thinking that should be alright.

Did I make a mistake? I mean I can always add another medium later I suppose. It's going to start with a Nuc anyway.

The other things I could not get were a ventilated inner cover. However I think I can live with the normal inner cover. And they did not have 8 frame queen excluders in stock but I don't need that right away anyway. Said they would have them by July so that probably well before I need it.

But.. whats your thoughts on Mediums as Hive bodys?

3 mediums equals 2 deeps... I'm glad you didn't ask about queen excluders....This is a family board and I can't cuss. [img]smile.gif[/img]

LOL! I gotcha..

Ya know I shoulda done the math... but she caught me off gaurd on the phone call.

I guess I should be fine moving a Nuc into a Medium 8 frame... but the issue may be the Nuc I get may be started on deeps... So I may have a problem moving over frames. Well.... moving them with little or not much work anway....

Go to MB's website. He uses all meds and 8 frame. His site is linked on the bottom of all his posts.

Yea he is partly what convinced me to go with some 8 frames. All I have now is 10 frame stuff.

Problem is I don't know what the guy I am getting the Nuc from uses in his Nuc's. If I was lucky... he uses Medium frames in there. If I am not, I got some cutting and fitting to do. I was wanting deeps just to avoid that.

>In my quest to start a 8 frame set up Garden Hive I had ordered two Deeps and Two shallows from Brushy Mountain (as well as some other stuff of course) and they called me today to say they were out of Deeps. They had Mediums so I ok'd the switch out to two Mediums thinking that should be alright.

That's what I'd want anyway. I run ALL eight frame mediums. I would NOT buy the shallows. Just get four or five mediums.

from http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm

"Uniform frame size.

The frame is the basic element of a modern bee hive. Even if you have various sized boxes (as far as the number of frames they hold) if the frames are all the same depth you can put them in any of your boxes.

Having a uniform frame size has simplified my life. If all your frames are the same size you have a lot of advantages.

You can put anything currently in the hive anywhere else it's needed.

For instance:

1) You can put brood up a box to "bait" the bees up. This is useful without an excluder (I don't use excluders) but it's especially useful if you really want to use an excluder. A couple of frames of brood above the excluder (leaving the queen and the rest of the brood below) really motivates the bees to cross the excluder and start working the next box above it.

2) You can put honey combs in for food wherever you need it. I like this for making sure nucs don't starve without the robbing that feeding often starts, or bulking up the stores of a light hive in the fall.

3) You can unclog a brood nest by moving pollen or honey up a box or even a few frames of brood up a box to make room in the brood nest to prevent swarming. If you don't have all the same size, where will you put these frames?

4) You can run an unlimited brood nest with no excluder and if there is brood anywhere you can move it anywhere else. You're not stuck with a bunch of brood in a medium that you can't move down to your deep brood chamber. The advantage of the unlimited brood nest is the queen isn't limited to one or two brood boxes, but can be laying in three or four. Probably not four deeps, but probably in four mediums.

I cut all my deeps down to mediums."

>Did I make a mistake? I mean I can always add another medium later I suppose. It's going to start with a Nuc anyway.

The nuc will probably be deeps. Unless otherwise specified that's the norm. You can always build a "shim" that is 3" wide the size of an eight frame box. Putting this under your medium will make it a deep. Fill out the rest of the box with mediums and if they build comb on the bottom you can always cut it off later and, if it's honey, harvest it, and if it's brood tie it into a frame and put it in a medium box.

If you have a five frame deep nuc box with no bottom you could also put it on TOP of a medium box with a board on the side to cover the left over gap. Sort of like this:

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/TenFrameToEight.JPG

>The other things I could not get were a ventilated inner cover. However I think I can live with the normal inner cover.

I always saw them selling it as a "moving screen". Prop the inner cover with a couple of shims. It will make a top entrance and provide plenty of ventilation.

> And they did not have 8 frame queen excluders in stock but I don't need that right away anyway.

I'd say you don't need them at all. [img]smile.gif[/img] Well it's nice to have one around somewhere now and then.

>But.. whats your thoughts on Mediums as Hive bodys?

I think all mediums works great.

"Friends don't let friends lift deeps" --Jim Fischer
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks Michael. I am afraid maybe they already shipped the two Shallows. I will call them and see if can change to all Mediums.

Yes they do tout it as a moving screen. So sounds like I fortunate change then?

Well as luck would have it they were just about to start boxing stuff up and I managed to change them all to Mediums. So I am good to go!

And what about these queen excluders Iddee?

I think I am liking the spacer idea most of all. When it all gets here I think I will just create a 3" spacer for the bottom Hive box and be prepared to go that way.

This is directed at Michael Bush, but the question came to mind in reading this thread-do you use 8 frames in just the supers or in brrod boxes also?

I use eight frame medium depth boxes for everything (13 3/4" wide by 19 7/8" long by 6 5/8" deep). I don't actually put eight frames in them. I shave the end bars and put 9 frames in the brood boxes (or alternate wood and PermaComb to get 9) and 6 or 7 drawn combs in each super. But you could do eight in the brood chambers and eight in the supers if you like. I would not put 6 or 7 frames of foundation in a box, just drawn comb. If it's foundation, I'd put eight (or if you shave the end bars, nine) in a box until it's drawn.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

>>>And what about these queen excluders Iddee?<<<

Use them if you like, but I don't like them and don't use them. I am not a propolis collector and I have never seen an excluder that wasn't a propolis trap.

Seems like mine usually just have a little bit of burr comb right in the middle. I stopped using them a couple years back and had a hive raise nothing but broad in a shallow supper. They already had 2 deeps. Kind of ticked me off so I went back to excluderes. I still have 2 hives with no excluders though. Still trying to figure out which I like better.

If I had a queen that would lay two deeps full of brood and still wanted more room, I would give it to her. 3,or even 4 deeps, 5 if need be.

PS. Can I get a frame of eggs from that queen??

>I stopped using them a couple years back and had a hive raise nothing but broad in a shallow supper

If they were all the same sized boxes would you care?

Not a bit. In fact I use all deeps (I know "friends don't let friend's lift deeps") but people know I'm a beekeeper and give me free stuff from time to time. Somebody gave me several brand new shallows with frames and wax sheets already installed. So I use them......