Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

The EpiPen and you.

38K views 70 replies 36 participants last post by  dgrc 
#1 ·
Mike,

Would you be so good as to tell me anything you feel I should know about the EpiPen.

I just purchased 3 of them.

#2 ·
"Replace any Auto-Injector if the solution is discolored or contains a precipitate.
The EpiPen Auto-Injector is designed with a see-through window to allow periodic
examination of its contents. The physician may recommend emergency use of an
Auto-Injector with discolored contents rather than to postpone treatment."

What color should the epinephrine be?

#3 ·
I'm not MIKE, but carry an epi with me. The best bet if in doubt about the use of an EPI is to contact your doctor, as misuse use can result in serious consequences. they are a prescription and need to be replaced yearly, the liquid should be clear.
I'm no doctor. The use of the epi is if and, only if symptoms of anaphlixic (sp) shock appear IE, constriction of the airway, extream diffaculty breathing, inability to swallow, DO NOT use if their is just swelling and minor irritation.
Why did you get 3?? At $85.00 a pop, that was kinda spendy.

[ March 30, 2006, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: SilverFox ]

#6 ·
Good idea, I have to remember to grab mine as I go out the door, allot of times I find Demerol is all I need. But the EPI is there just in case.

#10 ·
It all sounds nice but be wary. Epipens are prescription medicine. I'm not sure I have neighbors that trustworthy.

I heard a brief from a volunteer fireman and beekeeper who recommends that no one administer an epipen to someone else (except of course situations like a parent to a child).

The reason is that without proper training you could do much more harm than good. For instance, if someone is unconscious by their hives, how would you know if they had an allergic reaction to a sting or are suffering from heat stroke. Administering an epipen to someone with heat stroke may well do them in. He also indicated that "Good Samaritan" laws may be null and void if you start giving out prescription meds.

Just food for thought.

#71 ·
It all sounds nice but be wary... no one administer an epipen to someone else... He also indicated that "Good Samaritan" laws may be null and void if you start giving out prescription meds.

Just food for thought.
Good points all. My daughter is a crew leader for a youth conservation group. They do not carry epipens in their first aid gear and are instructed not to use them even if available -- although they can assist if a person with a prescription and an epipen if that person decides to use it on him/herself. Without the right medical training, there are just too many ways for things to go badly wrong and too few ways for things to go right.

#12 ·
I wrote a rather lengthy reply which apparently got lost somewhere. So I'll try again.

First, I don't know which of the many Mikes on here you're refering to, but since I'm one of them, I'll respond.

I have never had an Epipen and have no plans to ever get one. I have no experience with them and, in fact , have never actually seen one.

I do know, from Anatomy and Physiology class what Epinephrine does to the body, and I know from the many medical people I hang out with what anaphylaxis is like. If I had a pen and I was having serious trouble breathing, I would use one.

I have no idea what color it should be.

#13 ·
How do you get a doctor to prescribe one if you have no history of severe allergy? In this day and age of managed health care I am amazed that a doctor would agree or that an insurance company would pay for it without documentation of a true need. That being said, I would love to have one just for a precaution. I tried to get my military pediatrician to write a script for my son and he said it wasn't needed since he had no history or reactions. I'm going to try again with my doctor next week but I don't hold out much hope. I tried to find one online but it seems that most of them require a script. Theresa.

[ March 30, 2006, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: gardenbees ]

#14 ·
Primatine mist is an over the counter inhaler that has epinephrine in it. It also has a much longer shelf life.

With several inhalations and a belt of liquid benadryl you'll get to the ER. Call the ER and let em' know you're coming. Arguably safer than injectables.

#17 ·
If you are certain you are deathly allergic to bees then the epipen is the only way to go, no arguement.

But if you "just want to be safe" then primatine mist and liquid benadryl are good insurance.

And the most important thing is to gently scrape off the stinger and sac quickly without further injection.

#18 ·
I dont know if this is true, but heard that it's usually not your first sting that you have a bad reaction with, but could occur at a sting later on. If this is so, then why would someone ask if there is a "history" of a reaction to bee stings, prior to issuing a prescrip? I have a couple epi's stored in the house in case I need it. But since I have received some stings, if I can go on history, then I may not buy more of them.

#20 ·
The reason my doctor prescribed mine was as a preventive, when I first started bee keeping my throat started to constrict, I informed my wife and we both monitored my self through the next 24 hrs. Thankfully it disappeared, when I informed my DR. he thought it might be prudent to have an EPI available. I have heard that some people build up an immunity to bee venom and some a toxicity-you can get stung a million times and nothing, the next one gets you-I haven't had the constriction since, but you never know.
gardenbees; EPI-PENS are used for the treatment of anaphalaxis(sp)shock.
Mine are prescribed by the VA.
Now I use benadryl and watch myself for indications of a severe allergic reaction.

#21 ·
<<How do you get a doctor to prescribe one if you have no history of severe allergy? >>

I had no problem at all with my family physician prescribing me one. I simply told them I was a beekeeper who at times moved hives to remote country settings no where near civilization and wanted one as a "precautionary" measure. I would consider talking to other doctors.

#22 ·
For a while, I was carrying one of those things around for reasons not related to bees. My doctor strongly stressed that epi can be very dangerous if improperly used. It can cause extreme stress to the heart. It is intended to be self administered. You really don't want to administer it if you don't really need it.

My doc had me practice with a dummy epi pen while he monitored me and made sure I knew what I was doing.

#23 ·
I myself have never carried an epi, mainly cause its expensive and shelf life is too short. Instead I carry benadryl (antihistamine) pills. Never had a reaction, but I figure if I ever get jumped by a swarm of vicious ladies, I'll be popping a couple pills. Maybe I'll get a buzzzz. Actually, a good beek friend of mine who's family has over 50 years exp informed me of their use. He carries the pills himself and in the past he's had severe reactions, which he had to build immunity to by getting Venom injections from Doc. Figure they're good enough for him, they're good enough for me.

#24 ·
When I was getting a cortizone shot for my shoulder Feb 1, my PA was inspecting my gimp finger from an infected sting last year, it may never get any better :( He is aware that I do swarm pickups and cut-outs as well as being concerned about my hand and wanted me to get a couple of pens to have just in case.

He was a little more lax about thier use, but I plan to only use it if breathing becomes a problem.

I have a 16 yr old son of a friend that wants to help me with cut-outs this year. He is allergic to just about everything under the sun, even milk, eggs, and wheat. Animal dander, smoke, pollen, mold, on and on.

I told his mother that I would not take him until he was stung under controled condititons. He did not have any breathing problems but I let it pump until dry :rolleyes: He had a good local reaction like I used to get. A five inch swollen and red hot area that lasted for three days. He's still eager to help, but I'm not taking him without a pen handy.

And I've done stupid things before and gotten 50+ stings, so you never know.

BTW, doc said that the pens were about $20 each. Thats' cheap insurance.

#25 ·
>Are you folks severly allergic??? Or is this simply insurance??

I am just starting this year and have never had a severe reaction myself. As previously stated it is often not the first sting that people have rections too. The first couple couple stings can make you hypersensitive to following stings also my two daughters want to help me and I don't know what there reaction might be. This year I have an epipen for insurance sake. I don't know whether I will continue to purchase them in the future.
I am a professional firefighter and EMT and have used epinephrine several times for nut, shelfish, and bee sting allergies. I agree that it should not be given unless you are sure the persons condition is from an allergic reaction that is obviously true with any medication. Benadryl and other types can help with mild reaction but won't do much for severe as it takes too long to get in the system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.