Thread: melting waxing

I have heard all about wax melters and this and that, but what about a microwave? Now, I know it has to be cleaned first and that's where a wax melter would help. But like if you wanted to paint it on your triangle guides, couldn't you just melt it in the micowave? I did that. I put my wax in a plastic butter dish and melted it the microwave. I started that w/ my muzzle loader. i would melt a deal of barrel lube and then dip my patches in it. I figured I could do that w/ bees wax. Did I screw up somehow?

You need careful control of the temperature when you melt flammable liquids such as beeswax, which a microwave changes far to fast to control. I would not recommend it. Of course if you're careful you can manage to make many things that aren't a good idea to work.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Trust Michael on this!

A microwave can be very dangerous with volatile substances as it can "super heat" it - heat it above the vapor point. The result is that when you disturb it, it will flash. This can even happen with water. I have a friend who lost an eye when heating water in a microwave for tea. The microwave was at eye level and when he touched the cup, the water flashed to steam and burned his face, including his eye. If this had been beeswax, it would have flashed to flames.

In my opinion, a microwave is just too easy to misjudge for something like beeswax. And no amount of convenience is worth an eye, a face, or possibly even a house.
    "Before I speak, I have something I'd like to say. . . . I will try to keep this short as long as I can." Yogi Berra

I've done it once in a container of water... It took forEver. It sounds like a good idea, but it was a waste of electricity.

Waya
    WayaCoyote

A micro-wave cook's from the inside out(most of the time),so when you look & think it's not done,it's about to blow the house up, ,
    SOLAR, SOLAR,don't use no electricity,& the wax will be a grade or two lighter.>>>>Mark

I melted a small amount of bees wax by placing a cleaned soup can with wax in it in a pan with a bit of boiling water. This also is not proper as the can touches the metal pot and gets hotter than the water. This is what I did to recoat the rite cell foundation to get the bees to draw it. For my foundationless frame with the pointed top bars I just take a ball of wax and rub it back and forth fast. The friction heats it up and it lays a thick layer of wax on the point without running down the slope making the bees more likely to draw the comb off center.

I make candles and I found out that and old
    electric coffee works great for melting bees
    wax I picked one up at a garage sale.

Garage Sale Crock Pots
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

<Garage Sale Crock Pots>

Ed's right. Not one fire yet,

Hawk
    KC0YXI

The old deepfryers with the thermostats are nice. Buy 2 if you find em(look at Sals Boutique) as they are getting pretty scarce.

I don't use crock pots.
    I use the old pecolator coffee pot,
    Just leave out the thing you put the grounds in,
    It also gives you a spout to pour the wax.
    Works great for candel makind.
    BOWo