Thread: Houdini Queen

For two weeks I have been observing the happenings inside our observation hive. Five different queens emerged and most were killed by the colony. Finally all the capped brood has emerged and this morning when I peered into the hive a Queen appeared before my eyes, a butt draggin queen to boot. Now this does not make sense to me. Within ten minutes I witnessed her laying eggs!
    1-Is it possible that the original swarm queen returned to this hive? The reason I ask this is I had captured the original swarm, they absconded, captured again and the swarm left again. A small cluster maybe half a pound of bees the last time. (strike 3 your out)
    2 The last queen that emerged on the day following Memorial Day was such a small wimpy excuse for a queen that I could not tell her from the workers had I not seen her emerge and how the bees reacted to her presence. Smallest queen I have ever seen but the four queens that emerged before her were normal size.
    3 The timing is correct for the last queen to lay eggs however I can not believe that the queen evaded my eyes for two weeks and then appear out of no where.
    Any thoughts about this? I named this Queen "Her Royal Highness Houdini"
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

>1-Is it possible that the original swarm queen returned to this hive?

Possible, yes. Likely, no.

>2 The last queen that emerged on the day following Memorial Day was such a small wimpy excuse for a queen that I could not tell her from the workers had I not seen her emerge and how the bees reacted to her presence. Smallest queen I have ever seen but the four queens that emerged before her were normal size.

Many a small queen on emergence is huge a week later.

>3 The timing is correct for the last queen to lay eggs however I can not believe that the queen evaded my eyes for two weeks and then appear out of no where.

She was a skinny fast, furative thing. Now she's a fat fertile laying queen with a job to do.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF