Thread: Ohio Honey Flow

I'm new to Ohio, specifically central Ohio & enjoying a terrific year with my 6 colonies.
    Originally from the "Beehive State", Utah...where, despite the name, I never saw anything like the production I get out here. Which leads to my question...

Should I expect a honey flow through the fall? I didn't see much that way in Utah...Once September rolled around it was time to extract and get ready for winter.

I've been told though, that I could extract now...re-super and expect to extract again after a "fall flow".

Any truth to that. Thanks in advance.

Burt

The fall flow can be highly dependent on the weather I've found. Last year we had a cold spell at the end of August/first week of September and there was no fall flow at all. Other years it's been ok, though not a lot and I've usually just let the bees keep it for the winter and I don't usually have to feed in the fall. Some years apparently it can be significant (filling another super or two) from what I've heard from older beekeepers, but I haven't seen it in the past 5 years.

what is the source of forage in the fall months in ohio, i'm in michigan and i dont imagine ours is all that much different. thanks, sarah.

Hi Sarah

My friend Mitch has told me pretty much the same as Tarheit, that we may or may not get a good fall flow. It should be from goldenrod and asters. I planted some buckwheat which is budding out, and the goldenrod and asters are looking real good right now, probably 2-3 weeks from bloom.

Based on what Mitch told me, we should not take off honey from winter stores in the expectation of a fall flow.

(I am 2 miles south of michigan line.)

david