Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKUNK

Angry

A day in the life of a beekeeper:

Last evening I walked out to the bees. Wearing shorts and not much more.
    The ramp to one hive was tilted so I went to streighten it. ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE. I made a bee line for the house and they followed the same line.
    This was a very quiet hive.
    So what hapened???????
    I found out this morning. I had a skunk in the trap I keep set by the hives. Aparently the skunk was there and I chased him away. They took it out on me.
    That skunk is now fertlizer for a small tree I just planted.
    I went out at noon today and all is peacefull again.

------------------
    Erwin

When a hive suddenly turns hot I look for scratches on the front or a queenless condition first.

Jonquière, Quebec (ABOVE 48th parallel North!!)

I had skunks around my hives too, I could tell because of the scratch markings on the entrance and by the presence of crunched bees in front on the ground. I solved the problem by placing a 1/4" board with several 3/4" screws in it, upside down, in place of a "flying board (?)" at the entrance. It seems to work pretty well.

Hugo

And watch out for possums! They will eat the bees too! And either they or the racoons will reach in and grab the comb and pull it out from the bottom frames!
    Denise

Angry

Last winter from feburary to the end of march I hade to bee out of town and when I got back the varmets had had their way with my girls I lost about 12 hives to them, I had the metal mouse guards on and they were bent in a V now ( a little late ) I have carpet tact strips on the landing board.
    I like the idea of making fertlizer out of the varmets but I am lazy and just through them in the woods for coytes and foxes, i have killed 11 coons sence the end of March!

Smile

I shot 5 coon by the hives so far. They go directly to the trap without bothering the hives. Skunk went to th hive first then the trap which is set all the time.
    Possum are as far north as southern MN but not quite here yet. They been gradully moving north long as I can remember.

We also raise sweetcorn. We have over 30 coon from the sweetcorn and the season just started. If we didn't trap them they would get ALL the corn.

------------------
    Erwin

Hard to imagine that possums don't live that far north. I thought they lived everywhere.

I have possums and coons and skunks get into my chickens from time to time, but so far they have left the bees alone.

We've got possums in east-central Wisconsin, they've been here all my life.

Smile

Sure are some good eating!

I've eaten a lot of different animals, but possums I've never tried. I never could get past the smell.

Jonquière, Quebec (ABOVE 48th parallel North!!)

Michael,

we don't have possums up here. You talk about the smell, what smell does it have ? A skunk-like smell ?

Hugo

Sort of a cross between a real musky smell and a faint odor of skunk.

Eat possum? Have you seen what THEY eat? Ugh. I know other game may eat things I don't care for, but having been arround these guys all my life and seeing what they choose to dine in, which is primarily the composter.... sorry.

Remember the old song "dead possum in the middle of the road". Possums are a southern delicacy... especially if peeled from the pavement before that sucker gets flattened!

Cool

That was beautiful.

Cool

Just wondering about preparing possum.
    When I go south, if I pick one up off the road, wrap him in foil, and put him on the manifold of my diesel truck, how many miles before the possum is all cooked up and ready to eat???

------------------
    Erwin

Smile

Depends on if it's winter nor summer,
    Summer the hair's shorter so it will cook faster.

I'm on the north side of the twin cities metro, and we have those evil things here. They steal eggs, and baby birds,(Chicken, duck, goose, turkey) and will even take a kitten. The vet says he treated a horse with a 'possum bite, and they almost lost the horse, the infection was so bad. I know they are edible, however, I would have to be really hungry, and still- could probably live on cattails before I could bring myself to eat one of the evil things. I hit them with my van every chance I get.

Texas possum recipe -----
    Take a fresh killed possum and a good oak plank. Nail the possum to the plank, coat with butter, salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 400 for 2 hours. Peal the possum off the plank and throw it away. Eat the plank.

I had heard that one and totally forgotten it. Thanks for the laugh.