BeeSystem announces the new generation of remote beehives monitoring systems. First 10 systems will be tested in real “field environment” this winter, and will be ready for commercial use by April 2004.

Key features of the new architecture:

- Up to 254 high-precision sensors per one apiary controller (including meteorological sensors).
    - Up to 16 types of sensors such as: weight, temperature, humidity, CO2, barometric pressure etc.
    - Full-autonomy with solar panel (you don’t need external power supply, or battery recharging).
    - Automatic problem detection and notification by SMS messages.
    - Works on distance of hundreds and thousands miles from your home.
    - You can have access to your real-time data from everywhere on the world (you just need an internet connection).
    - Full data reporting by e-mail.
    - You don’t need to buy and install any hardware or software on your home PC. You need just internet connation and web-browser.
    - Easy to install and upgrade system.

Using all our experience while engineering this system, we tried to keep most affordable price. If you are interested in having this system in your possession, please contact me alex@beesystem.ca For more information, please visit our web site www.beesystem.ca. This site is available only for US and Canadian visitors.

Here is real information collected by BeeSystem's station:

red - hive temperature in "cabana"
    green - outdoor insulated hive temperature
    blue - outdoor temperature

Default Re: BeeSystem Announcement.

Does anyone know if BeeSystems still exists, or what happened to, or who has, their monitoring systems? I am looking for scales, temp/humidity, data logging systems. Any info would be welcome.

Thanks

Roger

I'd welcome the same, my 2013 hives will b on kmart/craigslist scales with meat thermometers sticking out all over

It appears that BeeSystem's Senior Software Developer left the company in May of 2005. Here's his resume ....
    http://korsh.com/CV_Yevgen_Korshykov.pdf.

It makes you wonder whether he was the only employee ....

ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Search for Hobo dataloggers, probably fit your needs.

Yes, we are out of business.

Sooner or later this must catch on. I've got a buddy developing a modest hobby/educational microcontroller project, and we've just started discussing making an affordable set of data acquisition tools for it. Most of the systems out there are targeted at universities with actual research budgets and corporations with actual dollars. They're way overpriced for the likes of us.

HOBO has one 4-channel datalogger that looks reasonable, but their higher-channel-number versions all rely on proprietary sensor modules and the price adds up fast.

The electronic components to make these are not expensive, and I see no reason someone could not burn some boards and offer kits. I nominate my buddy, since he seems bound and determined to make something of this sort.

I expect the beekeeper market would have difficulty supporting a full-time business. Weather station monitoring might do it, though, and then beekeeping could be an add-on, as could solar power and heat generation.

Perhaps in 2004 our system was too ahead of time. This was at time when Twitter and smartphones did not exist yet, so fully functional web-based monitoring system for beekeepers did not start a trend.

Nowadays, technology changed a lot. If I would design BeeSystem version 2 now, I'll use wireless ZigBee micro-processors (such as Atmega128RFA1), GPRS (3G/4G) network to transfer data and all this will probably at half of the price.

Indeed. Arduino has low-priced add-ons galore, including SD card readers, and assorted wireless com devices. You can add cell-phone digital wireless to game cameras for not a lot of $$$. The robot hobby group is on this like a bee on honey.

If Arduino had better A/D built in I'd have some hardware on order already, but now my buddy has complicated things by waving his approach in front of me.

I would recommend to use digital sensors (I2C, OneWire etc) instead of analog. Analog inputs are not very reliable and require calibration. It is possible to install an Arduino with SD card + small solar panel on each hive and run wires to sensors inside. Not very practical as a commercial plug-and-play solution, but will work for personal use

I'm an old-school analog interface guy, so it doesn't bother me. My hive scales will be gutted digital bathroom scales, using the strain gage load cell feet, so that's analog. And I do thermocouples, home-made sun sensors, etc. All my hand-built sensor stuff is analog.

Then again, I have a 16-channel UEIDAQ datalogging cube, expandable to 96 channels, or can incorporate digital sensors, which is a bit over-the-top for beekeeping.