I remember that sourwood was blooming really early last year. Does it seem to be early again this year? I was up in the mountains and saw most of the sourwoods in full bloom in the bases of the mountains and seemed to be just starting at the top of the mountains. Can any others verify? Last year I remember it was in bloom in Hiawassee during the Georgia Beekeeping Institute which was June 3rd. Did anyone make a crop last year? I heard it was the pits.
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

Are you kidding?? Not yet. It's been to cold for sourwood to start an early bloom. We're just now getting warmed up here in Western NC....and I keep hearing from the old timers that this is going to be the year for sourwood....cross your fingers! This is my first year of beekeeping and I'm so disappointed that the bees get to keep all the sourwood for their winter food Maybe we'll get lucky for next year too!
    ~What do you know there's so much to be done
    Count all the bees in the hive, Chase all the clouds from the sky~

I'm not kidding, I saw quite a few of the trees in bloom...I dunno. It's been very hot in Georgia recently.

edit: I was 20 miles south of the NC/GA border

----I'm so disapointed that the bees get to keep all the sourwood for their winter food------

Did they not make any spring honey?. Besides, the ol timers will tell you that sugar is cheaper than honey....

Let 'em keep sourwood? Not hardly, at least not here. 50 lbs per hive of $6.00/lb sourwood vs. $15.00 dollars to overwinter a hive on 2:1? Not even debatable. $300.00/hive goes in my pocket and the bees get HFCS.

And no, I haven't seen any blooming yet...and I've spent the week driving all over Gilmer, Fannin, and Union counties.

BubbaBob

Well, I'm 10 miles over the NC/GA border. Its been a raining and cold spring here...but, it has just warmed up in the last 2 weeks. There is a big difference over in the higher elevations which is only minutes away from me. I really haven't seen sourwood blooming yet.

As for my bees making spring honey...I just installed the packaged bees in late April and I only have 1 super (which is my brood box) completely filled and 1 super (my second brood box) is half filled with brood and comb. (not sure if I said all this right - I'm learning this lingo business??) Anyway, I thought I would be lucky at this point if I could get one more super filled for their winter food.

I've been feeding my bees with Brushy Mountain's Corn Syrup feed they offered this year...the bees aren't eating much of it at all, but they sure are busy and from what I can tell they seem to be doing okay, just not filling the boxes as fast as I think they should. Anyway, I hope the sourwood blooms remedies this situation. I think I'm going to use the recipe from Honey Bee Healthy thread to see if this changes anything.

Hey BubbaBob, you sound like your near my neck of the woods. What's HFCS??? Sorry, I had to ask

hmmm, I was in White County...maybe I'll take a picture next time I'm up there...

Cyndi, you're probably right, the stuff on the top of the mountain where the bees are isn't in bloom yet, just the stuff at the base. must be elevations...

anyways, seems bubbabob is right, I'd stop feeding once sourwood flow hits and it's worth it to extract a frame at a time if it's sourwood, IMO.

You know what, for some reason in Helen, it is hotter down there and from where I am, you have to cross over all these mountains.

Anyway, so tell me how I should rob the hive for sourwood?? I'm clueless and very new to this. Are you saying to only steal a small amount (couple of frames or so) and I can keep on feeding through the winter if they don't have enough food?? I haven't got this far yet with my plans, but was thinking about continuing to feed them this winter anyway just in case...

Also, do I need to put an excluder on to do this??

I would maybe put a little mark with a pen on frames that are already filled with honey or syrup or brood right before the sourwood hits. Then take off the feed, and see what you get during the flow. If it's bad you may get nothing, if it's so-so you might get the outside frames in the 2nd super filled with honey with no brood. If it's great, you may get them working a honey super if you put it above the 2nd deep. You'll know it's sourwood cuz it'll be almost colorless. For the winter, if you keep feed on, you'll have no problems in NC, you'll get enough warm days in the winter where they can break cluster and get to feed if they need it and take cleansing flights, etc

Bubbabob, you agree? This is just what I'd do, although I'm far from an expert on anything [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Like I'm an expert? Hardly ... mainly I just get lucky in my fumbling around...

I'll be pulling every super the end of next week and extractring all the wildflower. This week I also move my hives to the mountains and put on clean supers. I'll take ALL the sourwood I get, and feed HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup, Cyndi) for the winter.

Cyndi, it sounds like you are just up the road from me...I'm in NE Pickens county between Jasper and Ellijay.

BubbaBob

BubbaBob,

I know where you are...I go to Jasper to get my hair done, LOL. I know that route very well..after all I am really a Georgia girl, born in Hotlanta.

Well, next year looks more promising for me and honey. Bubba, do you sell your honey locally?? Also, do you have a formula or recipe to make your own HFCS?? I've been driving all the way to Brushy Mountain its too far to go for food if I can make my own..not to mention, their's is crystalizing on me.

Several apple houses and produce stands in Pickens and Gilmer counties carry my honey, but I mainly sell it online and through my boiled peanut/fried pork skins/homemade root beer/ginger beer/handcrafted soap/salsas/marmalades/lelly/stained glass/turned wood/felted handbags and hats stand at the Jasper Farmers market and at the 4 way stop in Tate...sold 350 lbs today.

As for the HFCS, I have a 250 gallon cubetainer on a trailer that I get filled when necessary at a soft drink bottler in Atlanta.

BubbaBob

Wow!, can I come fill my little bity 5 gallon container up?? I know exactly where you are..I've bought produce from that stand in Tate. I used to live in Lake Arrowhead, in Waleska.

Hey Branman Here what little Sourwood we have is in full bloom also.

Cyndi, next time you are in Tate on a weekend, I'm the overweight, shaved headed redneck in the little yellow boiled peanut trailer diagonally across the 4 way from Burger's Produce. You can find me there Saturday and Sunday from 1 to about 7 (or when I run out of product), and I'm at the Jasper FArmer's Market in the park from 8am to noon Wednesdays and Saturdays.

BubbaBob

Hey BB, I forgot what they call y'all shave headed rednecks.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

Thanks Bob, I'll definitely stop by next time I'm in the area..although, usually I'm wizzing through Jasper around 80 MPH..but I'll definitely make it a point to find you next time I'm there in daylight. Take care. Best wishes for a great Sourwood Year!!

Robert, the first half of my nick...

Cyndi, watch the 80MPH thingy...Jasper got radar a couple of months back and is using it as a revenue generating tool...and about 7 miles of 515 is in Jasper city limits.

BubbaBob

Sourwood is in bloom here in West Virginia too. I was gone for the weekend and returned to the two sourwood trees next to my property in full bloom. The bees are not very active though - maybe low nectar?
    simple is better<br /><a href=\"http://www.itsasimplelife.com/TheBees.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.itsasimplelife.com/TheBees.htm</a>