Thread: Newbee

Hybrid View

My woodenware is almost put together, my first three 3# packages arriving March 29th and I've been reading this board as fast as I can. I plan on using FGMO for mite control, does starting weekly 5 second fogging the second week after hiveing packages sound right? Do I also need to treat for AFB and EFB the first year? I will feed sugar syrup from a hivetop feeder as long as they will take it.

Pancho: We're almost neighbors, any South Texas hints to pass on?

Thanks;
    Dave

Yes, read this board and ask lots of questions because everyone here is extremely helpful and knowledgable. As for Texas beekeeping, we get our flow in mid-April so be ready. Remember we do have africanized bees in the area so watch the temperment of your bees and know the lineage of your queen (keep them marked or clipped), so if one is superceded you will know. I get my bees
    from the Weavers' in Navasota. I prefer the All American because they are very docile bees and are easy to work with. If you order equipment from catalogs, you will find Kelly or Dadant from Paris, TX to be the best deals due to the shipping rates. The item may cost a little more but the shipping rates are lower because of our location. Don't forget to give your bees access to water so they don't cook in the hive.
    Good luck, if you have any specific questions you can email me at chefron@earthlink.net or I check this board regularly, so you can also post a question here.
    ps if you can get an observation hive going it will teach you a lot about what the bees are doing and when they are doing it.

Pancho

[This message has been edited by pancho (edited March 01, 2003).]

Hi Dave. I'm getting my first bees on March 29 also. I'm driving up to Weavers and picking them up. I'm getting two 3 lb packages of the all american. I live about 30 miles south of Houston in a semi tropical climate so I'm kind of winging it without knowing any beekeepers down here. E mail if you want to compare how we are going about it. I need all the advice I can get.
    James

James, Pancho,

Thanks for your replies. I'm driving to Navasota to pick mine up also.
    Dr. Rodriguez answered my question on fogging FGMO on the FGMO board.

Dave

From a post on 101 board......
    (We will get a short strong flow around mid April, then a small but substained till mid june. If you have hives in the city, the flows could last until mid July.)