Thread: New Queen...

OK.. This is kind of a long story but please be patient because I really need some advice.

I packaged a new hive one month ago – Hive #1 (Marked Queen) (2 deeps)
    I packaged another hive one week ago – Hive #2 (Queen not marked) (2 mediums)
    I packaged a top bar hive one week ago – Hive #3 (Queen not marked) (topbar)

Hive #1 has had poor brood pattern and since week one, I have not been able to find the MARKED queen.

4 days after installing the packages for hives #2 & #3, I returned to release the queens. The release went well for #3 (topbar) but I never saw where the queen went for hive #2. When I peeled back the screen, she was there one second and gone the next. I waited right there to see if maybe she flew and would come back to me. She did not return so I assume she fell or flew into the hive. I closed it up and left.

Today, I gave each hive a decent inspection and finally found a queen in hive #1 but it was not my marked queen. It was a great big pretty UNMARKED queen and she was just a laying. Brood pattern looks much better but I did find a small, peanut looking cell halfway down one frame. I also found a queen 3 frames over but it could have been the same one if she was fast.

I could find no queens in hives #2 or #3 but I am not good and finding them yet anyway…

I am still not real sure how to inspect the topbar so I will just give it a while longer before I go in much.

OK… Questions..
    Where did this queen come from that now resides in hive#1?
    Is it possible she was the queen from hive #2 or #3 and just flew in and took over?
    How long should I wait before re-queening hives 2 or 3.
    Could hive #1 have raised a new queen in one month?
    What about the small peanut cell halfway down the frame?
    Can a hive have 2 queens?

I thought 3 hives would not be too much to handle as a beginner but now I am not too sure.

Can anyone help with some answers????

Thanks!!!!!!
    <a href=\"http://www.beekeepersvoice.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.beekeepersvoice.com</a>

The queen in hive #1 is probably a new queen that the bees raised because the original queen was not up to par.

I don't think it's possible that she is a queen from hive #2 or #3.

It depends. Some queens can go for longer than others, depending on many factors. Often the bees will decide when to replace her for you.

Yes, hive #1 could have raised a queen in one month. Visit Michael Bush's website. He has a bee math page that is very interesting as well as much, much more.

The cell you saw is a supercedure cell. The bees build them to hatch a queen to replace a failling or aging queen.

[size="1"][ May 18, 2006, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: Neubee ][/size]
    Andrew<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://orsba.proboards27.com/index.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">http://orsba.proboards27.com/index.cgi</a>

&gt;I could find no queens in hives #2 or #3 but I am not good and finding them yet anyway…

But did you find eggs or larvae?

&gt;I am still not real sure how to inspect the topbar so I will just give it a while longer before I go in much.

I'd stay on top of a top bar hive. As long a things are going well, they continue to go well, for the most part. But once they get off they will repeat the error on each subsequent comb.

&gt;OK… Questions..
    Where did this queen come from that now resides in hive#1?

Are you sure there aren't two queens in hive #1? It's possible they raised a queen in the last month. It's possible the queen from #2 flew off and returned to #1.

&gt;Is it possible she was the queen from hive #2

Possible.

&gt; or #3 and just flew in and took over?

Doubtful, she never flew when you put her in, and she's not going to fly once she's settled.

&gt;How long should I wait before re-queening hives 2 or 3.

Do you have brood in them? If not, I'd put a frame of brood from #1 in both #2 and #3 and see what they do. They will raise a queen if they are queenless. They will not if they have one.

&gt;Could hive #1 have raised a new queen in one month?

They could have raised a new queen in ten days. But only if they had viable worker larvae of the correct age. But that queen wouldn't start laying until 14 days after that (24 from when they started). But you have a month.

&gt;What about the small peanut cell halfway down the frame?

Is it capped? Is there a larvae in it? It's a queen cup. If there's a larvae in it it's a queen cell. If it's capped and yellow to white and soft, she will emerge sometime in the next eight days. If it's capped and papery and brown, she will emerge sometime in the next two days.

&gt;Can a hive have 2 queens?

Yes.

&gt;I thought 3 hives would not be too much to handle as a beginner but now I am not too sure.

3 hives is a nice number to have some resources to deal with problems.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF