Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Fancy Hive Tops

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  pieni Maan Koti 
G
#1 ·
Origionally seen in some British style hives, then a magazine, and also on this web site. I saw tops that were made to look like a house roof. I found a neighbor around the corner who is a cabinet maker, he's going to build me some for my hives.
We've agreed on a design that will be about 5 inches high on center, with about 1 1/2 inches overhang of the eaves all the way around. I found some neat little 2 inch dia. louvered vents to put on either end, and I may make some little homemade shingles for them. I know I don't have to do this, but what the heck! Who ever said you can't have a little fun with this stuff! When I finish, I'll have to take some pics and post them.

#2 ·
There is a local bee supply company that sells what they call a garden hive; it is an 8-frame hive with a nice copper roof. I have wondered what effect this would have on the bees and honey production. However, I have priced copper and making such a roof appears to be out of the question for now. I have considered cedar shingles but thought that it might get too hot.

I would be interested in seeing your new hives.

G
#3 ·
Well, I've finished the tops and have some pics, just need to scan them and I'll email them to you. You're right about the copper, it's scary how much it is! I just went ahead and left the tops the way they were, but put 5 coats of good outdoor 'WeatherAll' paint on. With the pitch of the roof and the paint, the water runs off very well(we've had rain for the last 3 days). With normal care, I'm sure they'll last a long time, and look good too! Thanks for the interest, Tom.

#4 ·
I just started beekeeping this spring, so bear with me.
I am in a class offered by the Cincinnati Parks Department. I started with 4 hives. A bit more then my schedule can handle at this time. I am just working through this year hoping next spring will run smoother. Anyway with only 4 hives I did decide to do the copper roofs. I did a gable roof with a 5/12 pitch with 1" eves and 3/4" rakes. This allowed the maximum use of the 2'X10' 16oz copper sheet. The copper was purchased at a sheet metal dealer that wholesales and retails to roofers and duct work contractors. I paid $31 for the sheet, which is the counter price, I work with a few contractors that may have been able to get me a better price but I will save that for the big jobs. It was difficult to find copper nails (most of what I got are copper coated steel nails). I finally found some in an older hardware store. They had an old box with 3 differant styles of nails. I bought 300 @ .03 ea (left 7 in the box for the next guy). I used a alumium break to from the copper and a small pair a duck bill pliers to finish the corners. I made 5 tops in all in case I messed one up.
I insulated the the attic space with 1.5" closed cell insulation. The type used behind brick in CMU type construction. The insulation is covered with Luan board or paneling. I didn't like the roof without a ridge-cap so I added them after the fact. In 2 months they have weathered to a nice patina. The cost added by the copper is about $8. Next time I think I will have each side of the roof separate and use the ridge-cap to join them.
I did add a vent type system to the gable end. I added 2 more escape hatches 3/8"x3/4" to the inner cover and drilled 3 corresponding holes in the gable end with a roto zip tool. In the winter the inner cover can be flipped and the vents will be closed. I have a photo pre ridge cap and vents but can't seem to get them loaded.
Sorry to be so long winded....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.