Thread: lilac

Jonquière, Quebec (ABOVE 48th parallel North!!)

Question

Greetings everybody, been a whie since I wrote here, but I kept reading...

I am moving my hives this spring to a yard wich is surrounded by lilacs ( Syringa vulgaris ). I really don't know what to expect from these trees. Does anyone knows about its honey pontential ? Is it a good nectar and pollen source ? And what kind of honey does it produce ?

Thanks

Hugo

I have old fashioned lilacs all around me and have never seen the bees work them at all. perhaps their tongues are not log enough because the butterflies love them.
    Stuart

I was thinking along the same lines as Stuart. I have seen bumble bees and butterflies on the lilacs but can not ever remember the bees setting feet on one. There are several of them in the over grown nursery as dad has let most of the farm go.

In my experience I disagree with Stuart & Hillbilly (although I have heard and read the same, that bees won't touch lilacs, guess my bees didn't read the book ). I have one yard alongside a row of lilacs and when they are in bloom (late May here), they are covered with bees. Maybe because absolutely nothing else is available around here at that time of the year. That yard typically does not need as much feed as the other yards, so I'm thinking they get some nectar off the lilacs, but I don't think much pollen. Don't know what kind of honey it makes as the honey supers aren't on yet, and the bees are using them to build up.
    Gregg Stewart

Jonquière, Quebec (ABOVE 48th parallel North!!)

Here up north lilac is in bloom just after dandelion and before the summer flowers. I just hope that my bees will do the same as Gregg's since there won't be much else to work for the bees during this small window of time.

Gregg........ I hope the bees I get from you have the same genetics........ I have a 400 foot row of lilacs!!

My bees work the lilacs just the same as Greggs. Actually, they cover the shrubs. Dont get honey off them, as they use it to build. If they are on the tree, they must be getting something from it. It usually blooms later in spring sometimes after the dandilion flow
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

My mother has a very large patch of lilacs, and
    my father's bees seem to consistently forage
    on them.