I have been keeping bee for 5 years and still don't enough about bee's. What is the best way to get my bees to make honey and what is the latest time of year I should split mu hives?

By the way, I live in Piedmont North Carolina.

http://www.beeworks.com/UsingNorthern.htm

Here's some discussion on late splits in the North vs Early splits. You're in the south and should be able to split even later than here in the North. But I've done splits in August here. Of course they were strong splits, like a full medium depth box of bees for each split, not just a five frame nuc.

mbeek, I'm in the piedmont of Georgia which is more west of you than south. I did a split last year the end of september with no problems. If you feed you can split even later, especially if we have such a warm early winter like last year. With our flow pretty much done, I'm going to split my hives down into nucs and feed like crazy to get em strong for next year. I'm gonna keep one hive strong to help draw out comb and to grab s'more honey if we get a summer flow. db_land is in your area, he can probably give you more regional info

You should join your local beekeeping club and make some friends(mentors)who can help you. You might even consider going to the NC Beekeepers Summer Meeting (July 8-10)in Charlotte to pick up some good info and make some new friends.

Have your bees never made honey enough to share with you? What in particular gives you the most trouble? I spend lots of time reading(The Hive & The Honeybee and Beekeeping for Dummies, Bee Culture and American Bee Journal)and watching my bees. I recently caught two swarms that are doing very nicely, so I now have 4 hives that I can compare and manipulate. Friday, I pulled 13 pints of honey from one super from one hive that I bought as a nuc in early May. If my bees continue to increase at their curent rate, I will have a couple more honey harvests this year and will be able to split to at least six hives by autumn.