got honey? Guest

Hi, I'm just starting beekeeping And I was wondering if I should start with the 4.9mm cell foundation or the larger cell foundation.
    joseph

Hi Joseph,

I would start with the small cell foundation. Dadant is the only manufacturer at this time. Some such as myself mill my own 4.9mm foundation. With the results that some of us that are getting and will hopefully soon getting it would be a wise choice. It beats starting converting over later on. But its your choice. If you do this you should join the BIO BEE list that you can join from this site. Many there can advise you (including myself) on how and proper timing for going this route.

Clay

What size foundation are your bees used to? If you can get bees that are used to 4.9, go straight ahead. Otherwise you need to change them over in stages, it would be a question of giving them 4.9 starter strips to pull out, then probably repeating the process before they would pull sheets of 4.9. There's plenty of advice on Biobee anyway, that's the best place to start.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com

got honey? Guest

I don't have bees yet, I just want all the info I can get. Where do you join the bio bee on this site?
    Joseph

[This message has been edited by got honey? (edited September 17, 2001).]

Hi Joseph,

To join Bio Bee go to beesource.com homepage and hit digital dialogue. Scroll down until you see Biological Beekeeping list. Follow instructions when you clik on it. Go to your e-mail.

Clay