Sad

hi!
    This is our 3rd yr of keeping bees for pumpkin pollination...we only have 2 hives. Checked today and both were dead.

Not sure why yet...didnt have a hive tool to pry apart frames and really look. The one hive was the original starter too (Italians). The other hive of Carnolians was trying to get thru their 1st winter. Oh well...back to the beginning...

I'm wondering if you guys can supply some links to apiaries in the northeast that ship package bees and aren't sold out(I hate the long distance shipping...it just can't be good for the bees). Otherwise, I'll just go w/ Italians from Rossman.

Thanks!

Bangor-isn't that near the Poconos? One of my old haunts when I visited my girlfriend Mary Jane...

2 ideas come to mind. Hackenberg in Milton/Lewisburg PA has at times sold bees, maybe only on a larger scale. He is probably 2-3 hours west of you on route 80. The others is an outfit named Fisher, based out of Lewiston, PA. Both of these have winter locations in FL. One of the NY outfits (Betterbee?) partners with southern producers (poor memory on this one).

Good luck

Hi, I am a N.Y. bee keeper on my 3rd season. A lot of what i learned is from this older bee keeper 50 years at it . One of the things he told me is do not put bees on punkin or cucumber farms. They will starve. Is that true? What kenny says is that they do not get enough nector from those two plants to winter them. There has to be clover, golden rod or something else near.
    Thanks Dan feel free to e-mail me

Thanks! I'll check out some of those sources! Yes, Bangor is considered to be the "foothills of the Poconos".

Cucurbits are a poor source of food for bees...but I'm in the business of growing pumpkins and bees are as necessary to successful pumpkin production as fertilizer, water and pesticides! 10 years ago, when sitting in the pumpkin field one morning, all you could hear was as steady hum rising from the field. It was so cool! 6 years after that, with my crop showing a steady decline in quality/productivity, I was checking the field one morning, and was struck by the complete silence...not a single feral bee foraging in the field. I assume mites hit my area really hard. Next spring I started keeping some bees and saw a huge improvement in my crop. I didn't even snivel that first year of keeping when half my bees swarmed for parts unknown...I just hoped they found a home within range of the farm!
    Interestingly, last night when I was dismanteling & cleaning up the hives, there was a steady stream of feral robber honey bees. I was thrilled! I like to think it's descendents of my swarm...

Jane

Here in Kansas, if we don't have 2 deep boxes full of stores in September we feed syrup until it gets cold so they can put up more stores.

It's insurance.

HI Betterbee is it eastern NY around albany but if you go to the equipment source page connected to this site I believe Dadant has a branch in NY close to PA but this late it may be difficult to find someone who isn't sold out good luck perhaps you could follow those ferral bees home ans capture a ferral swarm.

Hi,
    I'm a beginner this year and waited too long to order bees, got distracted by maple syrup season. I found packages available for pickup at thistledewfarm.com in proctor WV. If you can't find any closer too home I would be willing to pickup any you ordered there and bring them home to Indiana, PA, for you. They are supposed to be in APR 3rd. Good luck,
    Andy

Thanks for the offer Andy! That is really nice!

But I ended up ordering from Rossman's who did still have packages, but I'm way back on the schedule for a May 7th ship date.

Good luck with your first year...and wish me good luck with my restart!!

Jane

If anyone still reading this post needs bees in the Pennsylvania area, I have 3lb. packages available on April 24. They were posted on the for sale forum. Email me at mikeandida@cs.com $48.00 for Italians. Russians are sold out.