Thread: Bragging rights

I thought you might be interested. I wrote an article entitled "Riding With The Big Boys". This is a look at commercial beekeeping through the eyes of a hobbiest. It appears in this months Bee Culture. I'd welcome your criticisms.

Dickm

I really enjoyed reading the article, Dick...thanks for writing it.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

Read it and enjoyed it.

I also read the article Dick and thoroughly enjoyed it. No criticisms ("never critcize unless you can do better yourself"). [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks for writing it.
    Gregg Stewart

I read the article last night. Really enjoyed it. Great piece!

Scott

One criticism:it's not "hobbiest", it's "hobbyist"...one who practices a hobby. Anyway, one of the interesting cultural aspects of beekeeping is that the commercial guys play fast and dirty, don't have time for the small details that fascinate/occupy the hobbyist. Seems like most of the common practices move from commercial to hobbyist and not from hobbyist to commercial. One of my friends was a commercial beekeeper and he seems to have little patience for the nit-picky stuff I wonder about.
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

Read it and loved it ! good job. DEANO
    http//www.DeansHoney.notlong.com[/url]

Getting published at all in Bee Culture (the "New Yorker" of the beekeeping world) is an achivement.

Kim Flottum is very selective about what gets in
    the magazine.

It was good!

Hi Dick, I also read the article and enjoyed it. I thought that it might of been you that wrote it. Good job, keep up the good work. Always glad to read of others experiences. Dale

Greetings Dickm,

I thought the article was good, as well!

I happened to make the last page (Bottom Board) in March's issue with the article "Spring Dances, With Bees".

Not only does one get a little recognition from the readership, but you'll also find a significant surprise waiting in your mail box after the article is published.

In my case, the check was worth about five (packed out) full supers of extracted honey. And guess what? I didn't even have to lift anything...or get stung...or get my hands sticky.

All you have to do is tell your story.

Kim at Bee Culture is easy to contact... especialy by email. I would encourage anyone interested in submitting an article to do so. Submission guidelines are posted on the Bee Culture web page:

http://www.beeculture.com/content/wr...guidelines.cfm

To an author, all experiences in life are considered "material". Be on the lookout for something unique to share.

Regards,

Jim

I'm replying from the tub. I printed out this thread and am currently rubbing myself all over with it. James, I read your article and enjoyed it.
    Hobbyist. Indeed. I loved that criticism. I love to catch editors at mistakes like that. In this months BC Kim used "Affect" for "Effect", something the spellchecker refuses to take a side on. Another editor once called for more "pubic input" when he meant "public input". Weeks later, no one at the magazine noticed it.
    Beegee. On the nit picking stuff. Commercial guys couldn't spend more time if they wanted to. I'll never look at beekeeping the same way again. One squint down a row of orange trees that go for a mile in every direction and you won't look at agriculture the same way again. (Or I won't) With his investment and hard work Dave told me that his honey didn't bring enough to cover the cost. What should have been a flow was a trickle. He's in Maine for blueberries now or close to it.
    Jim Fischer I've laughed at and enjoyed a lot of what you write. Acknowlegement from one who's written as much as you, means a lot.
    I won't say writing is easy but like impending death, "It focuses the mind , admirably." You all should give it a shot. I know you've all got stories to tell. Hell, you're beekeepers.
    To Make the point: My grandson, who spent one day with us wrote an essay. I thought kim was going to include it. It's priceless. Look for a thread titled "Bees on Monday".

Dickm

> I love to catch editors at mistakes like that

Beware! Orginal manuscripts are waved in the
    face of the author who accuses the staff of
    making a "typo". One of the unwritten rules
    is that the author is responsible for providing
    final copy, spell checked, fact-checked, and
    ready to be sucked into the gaping maw of the
    production process.

In short, Kim's an editor, and you are your own
    proofreader.

I happened to be painting dickm's house while he was away playing with bees and writing stories.
    I hope to get at least a signed copy of bee culture.
    "To bee or not to bee"

I'm going to sign your copy

Dickm

My Bee Culture arrived today. Sheesh, it's like the Pony Express out here. Everything is a week or more behind everyone else.

I enjoyed it. Makes you think twice about getting bigger. On a related note, there was a nice article in ABJ about Rob Mountain's trip back to South Africa, and a bio about him. With a picture. Kudos to you, Rob, and Jim Burke for taking the time and making the effort to write for others.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...