Lightbulb

I would like your input on having them, and information about them. Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have a hive of minnesota hygienic bees. I am not impressed at all. Mine are slow to build comb, more nervous than my other italians, and are not even close to making surplus honey. On the other hand, I've heard others tell great stories about them. As for my experience, the day that hive dies, they will be replaced with another type of bee.

Sourwood: Don't judge a type of bee when you only have one. I have hundreds of hives headed by Minnesota Hygenic. 95% are great and 5% are not so great. This is about the ratio you get with any breed/hybrid. If your one hive falls into the 5%, then you would think they are terrible, but they are very good overall.

I have had great success with the Minnesota Hygienic Itallians. I have used the Minn. Hyg. Ital. breeder instrumentally inseminated with SMR drones from Glenn Apiaries since 2001. Since all matings are open air matings I have not seen, so far; any poor performance. As beeman 202 states; any bee can have a small percentage that will not perform as we (beekeepers) require. There are so many different factors that can create poor performance in a hive that some times it is difficult to know which ones are to blame. The only major control would be to requeen poor performers.
    As new beekeepers start up it is suggested to them that they should alway begin with a min. of (2) two hives: so they will have one to compare the other with.

I hived 11 packages of them. 1 hive was so defensive I had to split, requeen and relocate it. Several are defensive enough to make me get in the car before I take the veil off. All are great producers. I split 2 and borrowed brood from others. All have about 2 supers of honey. They were hived on Apr 9th. One of the best today had 6 deep frames of brood and 11 medium frames, also brood + 2.5 supers of honey.

Not bad from a 3# package.

Dick Marron

Has anyone here had the opportunity to compare MN hygienics to SMRs?