As I stated in another post, I have a hive that re-queened it's self. It has been almost two weeks and still there is no capped brood. Should I replace this queen, now? I am worried about the hive--there are still lots of bees and they have lots of honey(maybe too much)! I replaced some of the frames with drawn comb to give her more room to lay. Thanks for the help!

Hi,

How has the weather been there? Rainy? How long ago did queen emerge from cell? Has this queen mated yet to your knowledge? Some take off slow so don't give up yet. When you say the hive requeened itself was it in the process of at the time or was there actually a new queen (virgin)? Any info you provide would help make a better educated guess.

Clay

If it's been 2 wk's & she still not laid,I would be getting another queen.the weather has been fairly nice in N.C, right? so I would'nt wait on her & stand a change of losing a hive for afew dollar queen.

Two weeks since the queen emerged? It takes 9 days from when she's laying to have capped brood. And it takes several days before she starts laying. The real question is are there eggs or open brood, which there should be by now.

If there are no eggs or open brood I would get a queen or give them some eggs to raise one.

I am so excited, went in the hive today and found a large amount of uncapped brood~ so I stole 2 frames of older/capped brood and put in the hive.It's taken her quite a while but I sure am happy she is doing well!

What is the accepted rule for distance between Hives??????? Dale

Some, particularly migratory beekeepers, have them butted up against each other. I've have then a couple of feet apart and had them start robbing. I moved them further apart and they quit. I've had them closer and not had a problem. Right now most of mine are pretty close with no problems. It's nice to have enough room to walk around them though.