I have a hive that is very strong. Two weeks ago I add a super. Today, there was little/no bees up in the super! So I took a look at the two brood boxes. The bottom one was full of brood,eggs , larva--The top one was full (and I do mean FULL)of honey. It was almost like the top of the entire (2nd) boxes was sealed with honey and comb. No bees were moving above the 2nd box. I decide to add another hive body on top of the other two. I pulled 5 full frames of honey out and replaced them with empty frames in the second box and put the full frames in the thrid box. Hoping that I will have enticed the girls to move up. I don't know if it will work but it was all I could think of to do! Any suggests?? Thanks Debbie

I don't think you have done anything "wrong" but just putting the super on top is sufficient. They will use it when they need it.

Something I WOULD do though, if the 2nd story is full of honey, then the brood chamber may be honey bound. I would put the empty super between the brood nest and the honey in case they want to increase the size of their brood nest.

[This message has been edited by Scot Mc Pherson (edited May 15, 2004).]

Three deeps is a common thing in Ulimited Brood Nest managment. I don't use any deeps, so I just add and bait as I wish with mediums, but basically if they need the room they will use it.