Hybrid View

I installed some nucs on 5/21 and in one of the hives I used Pierco foundation. When I inspected on 6/2 the bees have refused to draw any out on the Pierco. (The nuc was four frames of wax.) I took a couple of the Pierco frames out and replaced with wax so they would have some more room. I would like to be able to use what I have though. A friend gave me some beeswax and told me to melt it and brush more on the Pierco. What do you guys think?
    "The greatest threat is our own staggering ignorance and cavalier treatment of the natural world to which we belong."

Spray sugar water on it. It already should be waxed.

I understand that better results are had when the bees have no option other than Pierco.

Here's a helpful link from Pierco.

http://www.iinet.com/~pierco/introduction.htm

Are you feeding 1:1 syrup? That will help a lot.
    BEE-L snob since 1999
    What's a swarm in April worth?

Yes, I am feeding 1:1 and I did spray sugar water on it. :confused:
    "The greatest threat is our own staggering ignorance and cavalier treatment of the natural world to which we belong."

I've heard you can shake them down onto a box with only Pierco in it. Place the existing box above with an excluder between them. Never tried it...... sounds plausable.

I truly do not understand but wish I could help.
    I run almost exclusively Pierco for brood and honey. Sometimes I mix it with wood and wax.
    Same result... strong nectar flow (natural or artificial) = drawn comb. All my bees love it and I have had every kind.

Kurt

for the last Two years I have used Pierco and have had no problems. I mix wood frames/wax foundation, wood frames/duragilt, wood frames/pierco foundation, and full pierco frames.
    They will draw all of them out. Strong hives, plenty of nurse bees = drawn comb.
    Frank

I have only had success with Pierco, as others have mentioned, when they have no other option. I put swarms on it some now if I need some drawn out...they have no option and are quick to draw it then...I had no luck with additional melted wax or sugar water either...

I am now only buying Pierco. I have had no problem with getting them to draw comb and they rarely draw brace comb with it.

I have noticed that with small nucs like that they may need to wait for more brood to hatch. I also have had a problem at times with feeding them too much. They backfill the drawn comb leaving the queen little room to lay rather than drawing comb.

I think the primary reason is that you may not have enough of the right age bees to draw much comb with a 4-frame nuc. If you have alot of capped brood wait till they hatch and give them a week.

Check to see if they are filling up the drawn comb with your sugar syrup. If they are storing it all there, you need to pull the syrup for now. The queen needs room to lay.

If she has room and you have some frames full of brood just give it time. They will draw it when they need it.

[size="1"][ June 07, 2006, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Dan Williamson ][/size]
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

Thanks guys. I am installing a new Purvis queen tonight and will check for nectar & space for queen.

I use only Pierco frames, waxed, not sprayed with syrup. Of course, after reading all of this good advice, I will add the spray to my routine.
    Hobbyist

What sort of feeder are you using? I find it best to use one with a large interface that allows many bees to take the syrup down in parallel. They seem more likley to draw good comb this way. A top feeder is good for this.
    BEE-L snob since 1999
    What's a swarm in April worth?

I just started 6 new Russian nucs about 10 days ago.
    They came with 1 frame of wax foundation.

I put one frame of Pierco in each. Some of them started to draw it out immediately and some left it totally untouched. I wish I had been more careful about where I positioned them and made notes to see if the position made any difference.

After 1 week I did manipulate (checker?) the Pierco inward to encourage them. I'll be checking again this weekend.

Meanwhile, just ordered HoneySuperCell 4.9mm. They seem to finally have it all together for online ordering.
    "hobby farm" is an oxymoron
    Brent Roberts

For me, the key to acceptance was to alternate Pierco frames between drawn comb whether it is in the brood chamber or honey super. They will pull them out if they are already hanging out on either side of the Pierco anyway.
    Keith