Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Yellow Jackets

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Andrey 
G
#1 ·
Hello All!

I've had some problems with yellow jackets around my weak hive. At first they were just after the dead fallen bees on the ground at the entrance, but now they are harassing the guards at the hive entrance. I was'nt bothered at first, but now that there are hundreds and hundreds of them around the hive. I'm sure the honey bees find them to be as much of a bother as I.

thanks
Billy Bob

G
#4 ·
The bees are weak due to our friend varroa! I have that problem under control now. I have found moving the bees to a new location very helpful! Once the yellow jackets had found a source of food it was impossible to get under control. Now 10 miles away at my fathers they are able to send a few of there numbers out to work.

#8 ·
When I was a kid,my parents used to use empty jam jars half full of water, with paper over the tops, and a small hole in the middle for the wasp to go through. Sometimes they ended up full of wasps after a few days.

If you put your hives on open mesh floors and keep them on permanently reduced entrances, that helps. I did that last summer, and had very few wasps round the hives. It remains to be seen whether it was a one-off or a permanent change, but I had real problems the year before.

------------------
Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
Birmingham UK

#10 ·
I have used all kind of bottles no modifaction. Works the same - good. Last fall I had one hive that was attracting ants. I put my bottles to trap yellow jackets put regular sugar syrop about 1/2 bottel. The next day found 1/2 bottle full of dead ants. Ants problem was solved, good side effect.

Andrey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.