Thread: russian bees

Question

Does anyone on the forum have any Russian queens? How are they? I heard early on that beekeepers were having problems getting them introduced into hives. I would like to try some this spring any input with actual experience would be great.
    Thanks

Lightbulb

i have two russian queens introduced into italian nukes,last spring (april)They introduced just fine and started laying,had pretty good populations of russian workers over the summer.Did not get any honey from them,and sofar they are wintering just fine,although their numbers are low.Hoping for a good spring and summer with them and maybe less chemicals in the hive next year.Let me know if you try them, JOHN

I purchased a Russian queen and 3 nukes to start a new hive in the spring of 2000. The colony increased and survived that winter, although I also used apistan strips. The honey production did seem lower, and I'm suspicious that the hive has not survived this winter. The bees did seem very docile-- a real plus!

I have four russian colonies. This is my second year with them. They keep a small popluation in the winter which is a plus(eat less honey) and start up much faster than my italian (about two weeks). It is a very good natured bee but tends to lke to swarm in the spring. I am increasing my colonies so this is actually desirable. My honey yeild was the same as the italian but it seemed like my fall robbing was better with the italian.Hope this helps
    cheers
    Chris