Arrow

I got a call from a lady who has found a some bees on her property. She told me that there are bees living in a tree and a couple trees down she says some bees has built a nest out in the open that hanging from a branch. She asked me what should she do with the bees out in the open. Are these bees going to survive winter? What could be done with these bees this time of the year?

I went over and looked at them Monday. The maple tree is pretty ragged and has electrical lines on both sides. The entrance is not condusive to trapping out and would be awfully hard to close, it needs to come down. I doubt that she can afford to fell the tree.

The exposed hive is about 25 to 30 foot up on a five inch limb. The cluster is about the size of a football with exposed empty comb outside of that. It has little if any chance of surviving our harsh winter with so little stores.

I told her to wait and see if it survives the winter, and if it does then we will decide on how to remove it. (I know a guy down south of town that might be crazy enogh to go up there).

It's the old story, even though it has been there for months and not caused a problem, now it's an emergency since she has seen it. Her biggest worry is that AHB will move into it and kill her rotwieller that is chained up under it.

Bees that high up in a tree are not worth the risk to life and limb. If you want to go for them, call me so I can watch and call 911 for you.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

well if they are hanging on a branch they may not be Bees, more than likley Bald Face Hornets but who knows till U look

I always ask people to discribe the "nest" when they call.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

oops to slow
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

There is a nest in a local Fish and Wildlife Area, that has been there for years. Just comb hanging in the open, and always full of HOT bees.
    I've seen a half dozen like it over the years.

wayne

We had a guy here in south central kansas that had a hive like you described in the open in a tree it made it through the mild winter 2 years ago but last years winter got it

I saw about five of them this year. Mostly swarms that had gotten stuck in the bad weather and started making comb. None of them larger than a basketball.

Two years ago I removed a hive from the NW side of a building, (the cold wind side). I removed it in early April and got 11 frames of brood! It was about 3'x 3'x 18". It made a nice surplus last year and this year too. Last winter it moved out of the old comb and is now in 100% PC.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Arrow

>If you want to go for them, call me so I can watch and call 911 for you.

Funny Bill Think I'll pass [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hey Bill,

Tell her not to worry about the Rottweiler, they do just fine with the bees. My Rotty's dog house is less than 10 feet away from one of my hives. He freaked the first time I started working this hive, until I told him to lay down. Now he sits very still and observes the bees when they're out flying around, no problems. In fact, the other day I noticed several bees working some of the flowers in the yard right next to him...he doesn't mind the bees anymore and they don't mind him nor all my 9 black cats. The cats have come in handy with keeping those big scary looking gigantic size yellow jackets population to a minimum. The honey bees don't mind the cats at all, [img]smile.gif[/img]
    ~What do you know there's so much to be done
    Count all the bees in the hive, Chase all the clouds from the sky~