have two package bees one third to one half bees dead. do not like queen in package. ordered new queens will be here tomorrow. the queens sent in package are still in their cages in a nuc how long can i keep them in there and the two queens i want to chance over? Help the weather will be terrible till wednesday . what should i do??
    thanks
    Walt

>have two package bees one third to one half bees dead.

Why? Were they dead when you got the package? Are they covered with syrup? Are they just dead? Sounds like they are starving to be. Have you refilled the can of feed? Just make up the syrup. Hit the cage on the ground to dislodge the bees and pull out the can and put something over the hole while you refill. Then jar it again and drop the full can back in.

>do not like queen in package.

Why? You can't know if she's any good at this point can you?

>ordered new queens will be here tomorrow. the queens sent in package are still in their cages in a nuc how long can i keep them in there and the two queens i want to chance over?

So you have two queens from a package in a nuc. Are they on the top bars where the bees can feed them through the screen? If so they will keep for a few weeks if need be and if there is no queen in the nuc otherwise.

>Help the weather will be terrible till wednesday . what should i do??

Feed the package. I like to paint syrup on the screen wire until they don't take anymore and make sure the can is full.

Leave the queens in the nuc until you need them.

Hey, let me explain, two packages one package per nuc, queen in each nuc but did not take cork out. waiting for cordovan queens ordered . I love the cordovan queens, nice to look at and never had a mean hive. i was wondering how long queens in the nucs can last caged up and when i remove them how soon can i put the cordovan queens in the nucs . plan to use "bee-healthy. the orginal queens giving to a friend. Walt

Where did you get your packages from wjw777? Did they come through the U.S. mail, or were they trucked up from GA and you picked them up off the truck?

>Hey, let me explain, two packages one package per nuc, queen in each nuc but did not take cork out. waiting for cordovan queens ordered . I love the cordovan queens, nice to look at and never had a mean hive.

So you are just using the current queens for morale?

>i was wondering how long queens in the nucs can last caged up and when i remove them how soon can i put the cordovan queens in the nucs.

They will last a few weeks probably. I'd take the other queens out the afternoon before you plan to put in the cordovans so they will be WANTING a queen when you put the cages in.

>plan to use "bee-healthy. the orginal queens giving to a friend. Walt

Are you planning a direct release? Or just a candy release? My concern about the direct release is they bees are probably tired of not having a laying queen but may not have gotten used to the new queen yet.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited April 26, 2004).]