Cool

I've had difficulty in the past getting my bees to take pollen substitute. Today, I placed a perma comb frame on the table and gently packed it full of the substitute. I placed the comb next to my feeder station and to my surprise, it was a BEE MAGNET! More bees were on the frame than were on my feeders. It's also an ideal way to get the pollen down into the brood nest where it is needed most. Usually the bees blow the pollen around as they fly near it...not this way, however!
    You can do the same with empty wax comb, but you have to be more careful.

Regards,

Jim

------------------
    http://www.emeraldridgeapiary.net

[This message has been edited by James Burke (edited March 21, 2003).]

Great idea! As already mentioned, you can also fill it full of honey for open stores when you can't feed, but I didn't think of the pollen.

Cool

James,

A great idea! I've already used the comb as a "syrup feeder" where and when needed in the past but hadn't considered using it for pollen sub feed. Mind if I mention your idea when selling the PermaComb?

Thanx.

John

Question

I've had problems with getting the bees to take the Tera-Patties. The patties (with teramiacin, (sp sorry)have been on since last fall and the bees are still not interested in them. I noticed a few K winged bees in my Buckfast hive last weekend and am wondering if there could be a better way to force the bees to handle the TP?
    Perhaps use a spatula to force the TP into cells so to make the bees either eat or remove the TP from the cell so they can use the cell?
    How about putting in any other treatment/supplement in the PC? Oils, FGMO, emulsion, etc.?
    Bill

Good ideas guys! I think there may be a lot of potential uses...especially for meds. as Bill pointed out. If this is the case, though, you would want to permanently mark the frames so they would never be used for honey.

John...please use these ideas for marketing, etc...it's your baby!

Regards,

Jim

------------------
    http://www.emeraldridgeapiary.net

Cool

As far as marking PC frames, I've found using a soldering gun or knife makes "engraving" any particular frame easy since they are plastic. Just a suggestion.
    Thanx.