Thread: Trough Hive

Hybrid View

Michael, I read where you have made one and are in the making of another one, is this right? Here's a question for you and anybody else. I'm thinking of making a Horizonal brood and food chamber 30 frames long. Then put supers on the last 20 frames for honey when the food chamber is near full. So the first 10 frames will be just 1story tall and the next 20 frames can be 2 stories tall when needed for honey production. If I use a queen excluder under the 2 supers on the 2nd story and provide an entrance going into the supers, will this work will the bees fill the supers side by side? I'm just starting up in the spring from a 5 year layoff. Any advice? Darrell

>Michael, I read where you have made one and are in the making of another one, is this right?
    I have made several. In two different basic styles.

>Here's a question for you and anybody else. I'm thinking of making a Horizonal brood and food chamber 30 frames long. Then put supers on the last 20 frames for honey when the food chamber is near full. So the first 10 frames will be just 1story tall and the next 20 frames can be 2 stories tall when needed for honey production.

Sounds like a workable plan.

>If I use a queen excluder under the 2 supers on the 2nd story and provide an entrance going into the supers, will this work will the bees fill the supers side by side?

They can comunicate in the 30 frame box below and come up from there, so the bees will see it as one big hive.

>I'm just starting up in the spring from a 5 year layoff. Any advice? Darrell

Barry has posted pictures of what I think works best on http://www.beesource.com/eob/althive/bush/index.htm

If you click on each picture it will give more pictures and descriptions.

There are two different styles. One is just one long box (the equivelant of four boxes long) with legs and the other is a table for a bottom and a 22 frame brood chamber (two boxes wide). I prefer the modularity and flexibility of the table, but the long box takes less parts and less materials.

As for advice. I'd make a follower board so you can make the chamber small at first and enlarge it as the bees fill it up. If you went for the table and the double brood chamber concept then you could start with a single box and move the frames to a double brood chamber later or still use the follower board. If you get a long hive of seperate boxes and stack them up too high, the bees may not communicate as well and that might be a problem, but I haven't had a problem with them on one or two levels sharing the bottom board. It remains to be seen how well they will winter horizontally. This is my first winter in this arrangement.