Thread: buying a nuc

I just lost a colony to wax moths. I wish to buy a nuc to start over. I live in Oklahoma, and would like to buy from this general region. Any suggestions? Thanks,
    ...r.

If you want to drive to Wichita to get them, I could fix you up around April 1st to the 15th.

HROGERS has small hives for sale sometimes in Texarkana.

Hotlands,
    Just trying to help, and I am not sure of your beekeeping experience. But wax moths do not kill hives. A weak queen, a queenless hive for an extended period, and a number of other conditions can allow the moths to infest and eventually take over a hive. I hope you seek the reason the moths had this oppotunity so it does not happen again.

Oh yeah....welcome aboard.

Thanks to all for the replies to my nuc inquiry. I'm a novice, so I had thought I cold buy a nuc now to be in place and laying by end of january. Guess I'll cool my heels 'til mid-spring. By the way, I found a Tulsa source. Bjorn... yes, I have been advised that wax moths are really a symptom, more than a cause, of a troubled colony. I haven't yet determined what weakened the hive so. The population was down to a few hundred dead and extremely weak bees when I inspected this past weekend. The queen was dead in their midst. Further inspection revealed a second dead queen laying on the bottom board. There was a fair amount of uneaten honey. At this point I don't have any idea, really.
    Thanks again,
    R.

Cool

Hey Hotlands,
    You probably already thought of this, but you should preserve whatever combs and honey you can for your new bees - it would give them a big boost. Freezing the combs for a day or two will kill the wax moth lavae.

Welcome and Merry Christmas

Thanks, DB. Actually I already donated the salvagable honey to the colony next door, after examining it for signs of moths.

anyone have a theory what might have made this lost colony vulnerable to the moths?
    ...hotlands.

Failing queen. No queen. Varroa mites. Those would be the top three. After that there's any kind of brood disease (Chaulk, EFB and AFB).