I received my ABJ and reviewed the B Weaver booklet. They rated the Buckfast Non-Aggressive trait as average. I sure would like to know what scale they were using to measure aggressiveness. I can’t see how the Buckfast would be rated average comparing it to other EHB. If you included AHB, then I would not quibble.
    What does everyone else think?

Smile

Got me. I heard that about Russian bees being bad. I have 20 colonies now with all Russians and I haven't found anything that upsets them so far.Dropped a super last week, rolled down the hill and all. They could care less.I believe that a lot has to do with how they are placed and cared for.

I think I will try a few of their BeeSMaRt queens next year.

>What does everyone else think?

Well, plain and simple, I think they're trying to sell bees.

AMEN" bro Allen,AMEN.>>>>Mark

It would be interesting to learn how b weaver measures non agressive tendencies. The mite resistant claims get my attention. I would like to hear from others using b weaver queens and no form of mite treatment over an extended period. I want to encourage breeders who are trying to select for a better bee, even if it means opening my wallet a bit wider. Maybe I am gullible.

I have 7 hives that came from B Weaver. They are gentle as can be. Have only used the Mineral oil on a weekly basis and have never had a mite count higher than 10.

I agree with the previous post. Where and how they are worked has quite a bit to do with attitude.

Scott

Scott, do you have BuckFast or the All American?

jfischer Guest

> They rated the Buckfast Non-Aggressive
    > trait as average

This is from a sales brochure, so if the
    best term they can use is "average", I'd
    conclude that they CANNOT use terms that
    are more commonly used, like "gentle".

Just as "charming" means a run-down house,
    and "snug" means that most telephone booths
    are larger in real estate ads, one has to
    assume that all adjectives are overblown
    by at least a factor of 1.5, it not 3.

So if "average" is said, this must mean
    "well below average", which means that
    I would expect to need a full bee suit
    just to HIVE THE PACKAGE!!!

Even though people say there bees (weaver) can bee some what mean as hell at times , i still would to atlest try 1 hive of the all-american just to see how mite resistant they are. remember anyone that buys bees (all-american, buckfast,smr) from Drapers Super Bee's, they are supplied by B. Weaver.

The first thing I noticed about the booklet are the flying bees. The pictures did not infer gentleness. Now compare the picture inside the booklet where they are packing bees to the one on page 574 of the 1975 revision of “The Hive and the Honey Bee”. In “The Hive and the Honey Bee” there are two men without bee suites or veils shaking bees into a shipping cage.

All I can say is night and day.

2 reasons I never want another buckfast from B Weaver.
    1) I got one queen which the hive would empty out when I was in the garden 30 to 50 feet away from the hives.
    2) they swarm and swarm so more

>1) I got one queen which the hive would empty out when I was in the garden 30 to 50 feet away from the hives.

Yep. I had some of those.

Used the buckfast and only the buckfast from 1982 until about 1995. They were easy to work with no viel. Very goood honey makers, my swarm rate was about 2% (100 colonies at the time) and wintered very good without lots of feeding. The best bee I have ever had. Bro Adam died and no new semen has been brought into US. The last ones I had WERE VERY MEAN!!! So mean I quit using them. I have not found a bee as good as they were in the 80's or early 90's. Best bee lately is kohnen out of Ca. Have had lots of problems with Fl. queens laying looking good then disappearing about 1-3 months for no reason....25-35% of time. Am wondering is this is related to mites/mite treatment as I never had this before mites.....anyone else have any observations like this??

I loved the Buckfasts from the late 70's to the late 90's but then I had the same problems.

Hey Rick

Stella and I will have queens for you next year. Keep in touch.

Rob

------------------
    If a job is worth doing - Then do it well

Terneus Guest

I've appreciated everyone's input concerning their experience with these bees in the recent years. One thing that struck me is the brochure mentions no medication in the last 3 years has been used--with very few losses resulting. That's the direction I'd like to go. Can anyone vouch for the ability to go "med-less" using this strain? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Well my The Africanized Honey Bee book says that AHB are resistant to mites. There are nicer bees than buckfast that are resistant to mites now. You might want to try one of those.

So... eight months later -- what are you all finding? Are the B. Weaver queens keeping down the mites?