Question

i have installed 10 frames of foundation in a brood hive on my bees .... and it is amazing to watch them draw out the comb. i am feeding 1:1 syrup using the baggie method and they are going to town.

two frames almost complete in one day! love my bees.

does anyone every read this forum?

george

------------------
    one hive and one book , but learning everyday

Hi,

does anyone every read this forum?

YES, from time to time.

Have you read POV on this site. The article called back to biological beekeeping?

Clay

Cool

gmh,

Wait until you collect your first swarm. Swarms draw comb faster than even boxed bees. It will boggle your mind. It sure did mine.

Glad to see you enjoying beekeeping. It is a great hobby!! I still love it and I have been keeping bees since 1995. It just never gets old!

Whey

gmh3,

great to hear you are enjoying your bees. I have to agree with Whey, I've been keeping bees and growing my business since 1996 and I still enjoy my bees like the first summer.

How do you like the baggie method of feeding? I first started using these baggies this spring. I think for wintered over bees they work great!! I won't go back to pails except for new packages on their first brood chamber of foundation.

I like your question "does anyone ever read this page?" I asked something like that not too long ago. I was a little disappointed that more beekeepers didn't use this site more often. I was very excited when I found this site because I thought it would give me a chance to communicate with other beekeepers around the world. Maybe a few of us can stay in touch and swap stories and help each other out with our problems.

Enjoy your bees. Hope to talk with you another time.

Maine-ly Bees
    David Wallace and Family
    Bowdoinham, Maine

Lightbulb

thanks for all the replies. I liked the baggie feeder until today, when i had one rupture and would not hold equalized... syrup everywhere . mad bees , mad beekeeper;

i was wondering if i take a jar with a metal lid that seals good and put holes in the lid , small ones 3 or so, invert it lid down will that work well?

also, has anyone tried a baby chick waterer adapter for a quart mason jar? i am going to try it and put some screen on the bowl portion to prevent drowning...the bees are wasting a baggie every day so i need a refillable container.

it is cool to talk to people from different areas of the country. MAINLY - my grandfather lived in Vermont; up your way. we always went to Maine(wells beach) when we visited him.

is your nectar flow still on there?

thanks

george

Looks like with the great weather we are having our nectar flow will keep up through September with goldenrod and aster. This should be an excellent honey year for us. How about you? I read somewhere that in some parts of the country honey season only lasts a couple months!!

Your idea about the jars will work fine, just use a frame nail to make the holes in the jar covers, you want small holes so you don't lose syrup. The chick waterer sound like an interesting idea also.

I have used 1 gallon pails(inverted) with a screen covered access hole in the cover to feed my bees but that time of year I have to put an empty brood box over the pail to keep the cold out and I didn't want to waste the resource, that was why I started using the baggie method, less empty space for the bees to heat. I used 3 inch wide boards to make what I refer to as a "mini" super to put on top of the hive for the baggie to fit in. These "mini" supers cost me about 95 cents to make and the one gallon baggies are really cheap also. I think what I like the best is NO CLEAN-UP!!! When the baggie is empty, throw it away.

One of the things I like best about keeping bees is trying new ideas.

Keep in touch. Happy beekeeping.

David

------------------
    Maine-ly Bees
    David Wallace and Family
    Bowdoinham, ME

Exclamation

I tried the chick waterer today; and so far no drowned bees.... i placed a piece of wire mesh screen around the liquid access area. and they adapted to that just great.

our spring flow is over and folks are extracting honey.

where is bowdoinham, me?

george

George,
    Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, I have been out for the past couple weeks, my wife just had our baby!!!!

Great to hear the chick waterer worked for you, may have to give that a try this fall.

Bowdoinham is a little bitty town in central Maine, about 30 miles north of Portland and 25 miles south of Augusta.

Unless I make blueberry honey I leave all my supers on throughout the summer and take them all off and extract all my honey at once in the fall. This can be a busy time of year for me also because I am one of only two people in the area with major processing equipment so I do lots of extracting for other area beekeepers as well.

Keep in touch. David

------------------
    Maine-ly Bees
    David Wallace and Family
    Bowdoinham, ME
    mainelybees@farmbid.com