I just had someone respond to a flyer I placed in a grocery store in my quest to find a good place to start an apiary.

The person said they have an alfalfa field next to them and the neighbor across the road plants 3 acres of wildflowers. The landowner themselves have a large planting of asters as well.

In Minnesota does alfalfa make a good honey plant?

The farmer 1/4 mile away has 5 bee hives. Would setting up my hives at this location cause any problems or would I see a smaller crop from too much bee pressure on the available forage?

Would you consider this location?

Thanks.

Ron
    Butterchurn<br /><br />Diplomacy is the art of saying \'Nice doggie\' until you can find a rock. <br /><br />Will Rogers

&gt;In Minnesota does alfalfa make a good honey plant?

If the farmer lets it bloom, which they sometimes do and sometimes don't, it will make some honey. It seems to work better if there are some leafcutter bees around to trigger the alfalfa flowers first.

&gt;The farmer 1/4 mile away has 5 bee hives. Would setting up my hives at this location cause any problems or would I see a smaller crop from too much bee pressure on the available forage?

In my area this doesn't happen until 25 hives or so are in the same foraging area.

&gt;Would you consider this location?

Sure. The Asters will make a nice fall crop (or winter stores) and any wildflowers tend to fill in the gaps in the flow. You never know what's blooming in the weeds and sometimes there are a lot of things blooming in foraging area that you don't know about.

How long a drive is it?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Smile

Michael,

The drive is 20 miles. Further than I'd like with the gas prices hitting $2.29 up here, but the other location I had in mind is 19 miles. The problem is that I am surrounded by an expanding suburban ring of development that keeps pushing further out every year.

At least this family is very enthusiastic about having the bees.

I have some hyssop seeds that I want to plant as well. Perhaps the land owner will let me put them out.

Thanks.

Ron
    Butterchurn<br /><br />Diplomacy is the art of saying \'Nice doggie\' until you can find a rock. <br /><br />Will Rogers

&gt;At least this family is very enthusiastic about having the bees.

If they take enough interest to notice when a lid blows off or a hive blows over or a hive swarms it's a big advantage. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF