Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So this past winter I had plans of starting beekeeping with one hive. By the end of winter that grew to starting with two hives. In June I trapped out a hive which raised it to three. In July I bought four more. Today I bought nine more from a beekeeper friend just down the road. So I am going into the winter with fifteen hives. This stuff is addicting!

Ruben you definitely need an intervention.
    The first step in the 12 step program is:

We admitted that we were powerless over beekeeping--that our lives had become unmanageable.

The other 11 steps are about the same for all 12 step programs.

Easy Does It
    One Day At A Time
    First Things First

but, don't worry though we're all in denial together.

i wish I was in a place where we had some big beekeepers so I could buy a hive or two from them.
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

I know what you mean Ruben. I have three hives .. first year. I am ordering at least 2 more Nucs for the spring Can't wait
    BTW, this stuff is addicting AND time consuming. But I'm hooked so who cares.

Speaking from past experience, I would say it is good to expand at a slow-to-moderate pace. The reason being that you need time to learn before investing too much time, money, and bees. You also want to make sure it stays enjoyable and does not become a burden.
    10-20 hives is about right for me at this time. Maybe once I know more and become more efficient, I can up the number to around 50. Michael Bush has a nice section on efficient beekeeping.
    "I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. " John 10:11

Ruben
    I know what you are saying.You have been bitten by the bug and hooked.But i agree with alot of what is said above.Carefull the bees can be alot of work and it gets out of hand fast.Now you can spend this winter makeing a plan for next season.I went from 10 to 20 hives this season,wow seems to be alot more work now.Top of the list in my plan is give all extra bees to beek buddies and let them work harder lol.
    Mitch KD8IMF

When you start taking bee mags to bed to show your wife the next "got to have" item....

When the wife gives up asking when is the car going to be allowed back in the garage....

When the weather channel is the most watched....

When you see a clump of anything, squirrels nest, etc, in a tree and always need to check it out in case its a swarm.....

When you travel, the conversation always centers
    around how that "field over there" would be a good apiary location....

When people start calling you "smokey" from the smell....

When you don't care how many little yellow dots are on your car anymore....

At least these are some of the things others have told me....

Just wait ruben. Its nothing till the day you have that little talk with the wife. The one about giving up that nice paying job, and how its going to be so great with the freedom of being your own boss, running that successful bee business. Of course the talk down the road about her getting a "second job" to cover your costs is a little harder.....

And always checking the "help wanted" section of the paper in case there might be a really good 2nd or 3rd shift job so that then you could have the daytime to "do the bees".

A 12 step program isn't going to help. The trouble with addiction is you need to really want to quit and you will not find enough beeks who want to to make up a support group.

My solution: Just enjoy your addiction and take the consequences.
    doug

Or when you are driving and you almost go off the road cause you were looking at the bees in the field...

or when you think about getting a second job to have more money for the bees....

or when your wife cant reach you on the cell phone cause your out in an outyard in the middle of no where...

or when your wife finds little droplets of honey around the house....

I love beekeeping!!!
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

when your wife is constantly nagging about the little clumps of wax stuck to the kitchen floor...
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

I have to go to the dentist today..

I wonder if it has anything to do w/ the frame of capped honey laying on it's side in a biscuit pan w/ a spoon always sitting next to it. Yep.. I'm on my 3rd frame.. mmmm.. honey!!

I started w/ 2 hives this spring.. 3rd in July.. already have plans on buying 2 more nucs next year.. maybe doing splits w/ the original 2 hives.. and have my swarm boxes set up and ready to go.

I am definately hooked onto beekeeping!
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

The difference in a drunk and an alcoholic......

Us drunks don't have to attend all those darned old meetings.

The difference in a beehaver and a beekeeper.....

Us beehavers don't have to attend all those darned old meetings.

>A 12 step program isn't going to help

Besides you have to drink all that coffee at the meetngs. Honey is not allowed at the meetings to put into your coffee, because it might cause somene to have a slip.

My addiction is under control. I have 7 hives. But I have one extra sbb and slatted rack, so I could go one more hive and one more hive only. I keep telling myself this is a hobby and I don't want it to become work. So eight's my limit.

I also consider myself very lucky because I work from home. I can get out there on the nice days to do what needs doing and any time I'm in my office and get disgusted or aggravated, I pick myself up out of my office and go play with my bees for an hour or two. Then I'm ready to get back to work.

I have a question about these 9 hives that I bought. My beekeeping friend I bought these hives from lives just down the road and I just measured in my car and it is about 7/10 of a mile the way a bee flies from where they are now to where I would like to put them on my place. Is that far enough away from where they are now? He says he has taken swarms out of trees and out them in a hive right beside the hive they swarmed from and everything was fine. What do you think? So in the deal of selling me the hives they have seven full surplus shallow supers on them and he is giving me those with the honey. He is having some medical problems and wanted to reduce from 15 down to 6 hives. He has been real nice helping me this year and he sold me the 9 colonies whith complete full deep and shallow supers on each and about 15 surplus super of which 7 are full of honey, stands, covers and all for 125$ per colony. They are in great shape and I think this is a good deal, especially with the surplus honey. He is unable to take care of all of them and recently had to retire due to his health. I will help him with his remaining hives to make sure he can keep bees as long as he wants.

Hiving a swarm is totally different from relocating a hive. Without reorientation, your bees will return to their original homestead if it's so close. I would use the Michael Bush method of reorienting them by placing a branch in front of the entrance at their new location so that they'll know something's different and will reorient.

"My addiction is under control"

Tia, that is called "denial." [img]smile.gif[/img]

Ruben

Sounds like you got a good deal, mentor, and friend all at once!

"My name is David and I am a Beekaholic..."

I started with 4 hives this spring then added two nucs. Then I purchased an ob hive recently to really see whats going on. I subscribed to ABJ and now Bee Culture and can't wait for the next issue. The only problem is my brother lives next door and he used to keep bees until he had a systemic reaction. I did talk to his alergist and he thought it would probably be ok to keep bees and I did ask my brother if it would be ok to keep them. However his wife is not to happy about the bees and I am sure there are plenty of his friends and my maybe some of my siblings who think it is not a good idea. My brother did have some interest in having an observation hive after he saw mine. The problem is I really like keeping bees. If the worst happens and my brother is stung and has a reaction I could always move the bees to bee yards away from my home. However I hope that never happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast