I would like some opinions on the use of slatted racks. Pro or Con? Also, is there any benefit at all if you already are using screened bottom boards?

i like them,my most producive hive this year had one on(and a screened bottom board),i think it improves ventilation,decreases swarming,and gives the bees a good place to hang out when they are on their coffee breaks.

Hi, I like the slatted boards together with the screened bottom boards and below that a tray made from white Formica. The tray is coated with mineral oil, is easily pulled out and collects all kinds of mites and other debris. I was just wondering how one could tell what the varroa population is on a closed board? Have fun.

I had several hives with them this year. They do seem to be my better hives. All of them also have screened botom boards.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited October 07, 2003).]

Cool

Hi all, It is nice to see that others have as high an oppinion about slatted racks as I do. I love them. I use screened bottom boards and slatted racks on all of my hives. As it was said earlier good ventilation and more room which is good swarm prevention. Steve, the not so new beekeeper.

Cool

Hi all, It is nice to see that others have as high an oppinion of slatted racks as I do. I use screened bottom boards and slatted racks on all of my hives. As it was said earlier it provides good ventilation and prevents swarming. Steve

Cool

Hi all, It is nice to see that others have as high an oppinion of slatted racks as I do. I use screened bottom boards and slatted racks on all of my hives. As it was said earlier it provides good ventilation and prevents swarming. Steve

>I would like some opinions on the use of slatted racks. Pro or Con?

I guess you also asked for the cons. They cost money. You have to assmemble them (depending on who you buy them from). That's about all I can think of.

Some more cons would be one more piece of equipment to store and also one more to handle, one more to paint and maintain. I think they are good for beekeepers you run smaller broodnests but may not be necessary for those that use large broodnests. Specifically for comb honey they would lend well if one uses crowding of bees.

Clay

I have had them on all of my hives for 30yrs. Now with SBB's.

Con: More things to slide apart when moving hives. I now put a angle iron on opposing corners so that the super can not slide off of the SR.