Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Apistan Strips

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
Tonite in a gathering of several old beekeepers I heard a fellow say he did not use Apistan but made his own strips.

According to this fellow he dipped cardboard strips in a product called MAVERICK. He said that when the strip "dried up" the bees would chew it up and remove it from the hive so that he did not even have to open the hive a second time. I also got the impression that he used it whenever the mood struck him, honeyflow or not.

The only "MAVERICK" I can find is an herbicide, not a pesticide.

Have any of you ever heard of such a thing?
Ox

#2 ·
I found the product; apparently fluvalinate is put up under several names, one of which is MAVRIK.

Anybody know anything about this? I don't think I would go anywhere near this fellow's honey without knowing a lot more about this practice than I do now.
Ox

#3 ·
There are beekeepers that make there own treatments. I have seen them done on drink coasters (like from a bar). That they persisted in a hive for so long made me concerned. Generally I've just bitten my tongue and learned what I could.

Not having drug laws in front of me I can only guess that it is illegal and unsafe. I have heard of one NC beekeeper killing off his hives this way. Miticides for pigs is what I have heard of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.