Arrow

Down the road a couple of year I am thinking of wintering in a warmer climate.

Not to keen on the far south due to AHB.

I am wondering about western Idaho, eastern Washington or Oregon.

I guess I would need only 5 or 10 acres to park 400 to 500 colonies.

Any suggestions?? Must be affordable and needs to be warm enough in late Dec and early Jan for brood development.

The Columbia River Basin might work if you can find a sheltered (out of the windsurfing areas) area. Our family has an orchard in eastern Oregon and rents hives from a commercial outfit out of Ontario, Oregon (on the border with Idaho). I am pretty sure he said that he winters in California and summers in North Dakota.

They move up through the fruit starting in California. Ontario just seems to be a hub for them. My dad's hives didn't really start to grow until April there. He had to feed them every winter (spring) and finally gave them to a commercial outfit in return for hive rental fees.
    Bruce

In my way of thinking, either pollinate almonds in California for cash and early build-up or stay home. You are overwintering there now. So keep doing what works. It does not seem to be worth the hassle to travel so far for so little in return. You gain a few weeks? Not worth the trouble. I would consider the almond thing. Now you have some money to pay for trucking, the forklift you'll need, accomodation and meals etc..

Jean-Marc

Bruce, I have done some real estate work as an attorney, and I have watched undeveloped acreage prices climb fairly sharply last couple of years. Get it now.

I hear you FordGuy......... I don't care what it looks like. Just need a place to pop my bees and a travel trailer.

Here's 10 clear acres in the middle of 116. I hope your travel trailer has good tires and your tow vehicle gets REAL good gas mileage.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2.../farm/farm.jpg

i am about as far south as you can get and have access to locations to that many acres and more for free for bees if you change your mind about ahb areas.

George........... Where is this in relation to Padre Island? I worked down there for a couple of years in the 70's. Lived in Flour Bluff.

Texas came to mind first but I have the "fear" of AHB. May be an unreasonable fear.....

about 75 miles west on us 83 i go down to padre to go fishing from time to time

Hard to beat the piney woods of East Texas. Lots of rural area and the abundant pollen in February makes for good brood rearing with some supplemental syrup feeding.

The AHB is an issue though manageable. I believe there is a 'dilution' effect with the huge concentration of managed colonies, a vast majority of them northern neighbors. This has been controversial and was suggested (and maybe used) as a method to stop the AHB advance. It is interesting to note their general distribution farther north in other areas while the documented presence stalled some time ago in this area. Granted they are no doubt there but their preponderance just doesn't seem very stout.

The network of beekeepers in this region is also a draw. There are resources available such as queen cells, brood, syrup and transportation back and forth. And then there is the social. Spent more than one Easter Sunday at a beekeeper's gathering in East Texas.

Bob Nelson

[size="1"][ May 14, 2006, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Bob Nelson ][/size]

Thanks for the input. My goal was to make some money on pollination and California is/was in my sights due to almonds. I am open to anything though.

The East Texas thing is all out of pocket which I failed to mention. Depending on numbers though you can economically produce a lot of nucs yourself compared to cost of buying.

If you do the almond thing do your research and be prepared. Take what Bob Harrison and others have written to heart. There is great opportunity there but also comes with a price and can come with a bigger one. Never been or seen myself but have first hand experience sending bees out. You need to stay on top of things, once again from experience.

Without being disrespectful to those who live there it can be a rat race compared to what you are used to at home or East Texas.

Just 2 different worlds in many respects.

Bob Nelson

[size="1"][ May 14, 2006, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Bob Nelson ][/size]

I hear you Bob. My sister lives in Davis, Ca (east of Sacramento) and has connections to smaller grove owners.

I am flying out to visit this summer an hope to develop a relationship with a couple of smaller groves.

Thanks for the input. My goal was to make some money on pollination and California is/was in my sights due to almonds. I am open to anything though.

Sell frames of brood & bees!
    AKA BEEMAN800

in regards to plopping down anywhere in the south (with intention of doing the almond pollination in california) I think I would be much more concerned about fireants than I would be about the african-hybrid honeybee.

as to the east texas piney woods... I would be very critical of site selection since the predominance of pure stands of pine timber are barely more than a desert as far as the honeybee is concerned. this is overcome by most migratory beekeepers by pouring large quantities of hfcs. as suggested the area does provide an excellent sourse of pollen.

question for sundance...
    when are you planning to visit california. I 'may' be out that way myself sometime this summer.

Haven't nailed it down yet Tec. Open to any date really. I just have a load of stuff to do and it won't let up until after July is my guess.