This afternoon I captured my first swarm. It was in my front yard in an oak tree about 20ft. up. I just happened to have a hive body ready so I put 5 frames with foundation in it and set it on the ground under the tree. I laid out a tarp and cut the branch down. I shook off the branch into the box and dumped the rest of the bees from the tarp in. It took a couple of tries before I finally got them to go in the box. Now they are hived and under the tree I captured them from.
    Now for the questions. Can I move this hive a few hundred feet to where I want it now or should I wait? I planned on opening the hive in a few days and adding the other 5 frames, is this OK? Should I feed this hive seeing how they have no stores? I don't have any surplus honey or frames of brood as I am new and have only hives that were started this year from packages.
    Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

Can I move this hive a few hundred feet to where I want it now or should I wait?

I usually wait till after dark and all the bees are settled in for the night. Close off the entrance and move the hive to the location that you want. They have not had a chance to get use to the "new" location yet. They will start fresh in the morning.

I planned on opening the hive in a few days and adding the other 5 frames, is this OK?
    I would think that it would be fine. I usually just set all frames in when I am setting the swarm up.

Should I feed this hive seeing how they have no stores?
    I usually feed a lite syrup to swarms to help them get started. Just like you would for a new package.
    Good luck.

------------------

Too late to move them tonight as I have to go somewhere. I've got an entrance reducer on is that a good idea? Will it be OK to move it tomorrow night? Can I relocate this hive next to another one or should I keep it away from another hive?